Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Another Corsica - France mainland SEP ditching / report

Here.

In this case, 2.5 hours after the ditching, they were in the helicopter.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I was surprised at the value the report put on something as simple as a light. Might be a good idea to have a portable strobe attached to the life vest.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

eurogaguest1980 wrote:

Might be a good idea to have a portable strobe attached to the life vest.

https://oceansignal.com/products/plb1/

I’d rather have a PLB than an ELT for various reasons, but this is one of them. It also features a strobe.

Berlin, Germany

It’s a very instructive report, in full spirit of Annex 13.

So all they had to carry was life jackets, but they fortunately did carry a life raft as well. I suppose this saved their lifes. Interesting that the instructor undid her seatbelt out of fear of being blocked in the airplane, but paid a hefty price for that decision by being hurt.

Yes, a PLB is a very good idea. I wonder if my Breitling Emergency would also help, even tough it’s only 121.5. But I also own a PLB which I carry on each flight and sometimes even when I go somewhere I might need assistance.

Even after 2 hours they were massively undercooled and suffered from hipothermia.

I think carrying a life raft is a very good idea, also for stretches of water where it is not required by law. E.g the channel or certainly when overflying the sea. Likewise, carrying a PLB and flares as well as possibly a flashlight will help at night.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I good reminder about the risks of hypothermia. Despite a raft, water temperature of almost 14°, and only 2.5 hours of exposure, they still ended up hypothermic.

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message