Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Amateur radio and flying...

Tumbleweed wrote:

The UK Amateur radio licence specifically forbids the use of the station in a moving aircraft.

I’ve read that too. But it seems to be a UK only limitation. I have a Dutch license that doesn’t have this restriction.

Fuji_Abound wrote:

but there would be “issues” installing the rig. Doubtless at the very least a minor mod in EASA land.

I will do some initial tests using a 2m/70cm portable radio on a VFR flight. The antenna will be inside the aircraft. The DA40 is of composite material but has an aluminium coating for lightning strike protection.
It would be interested to know whether the RF signal get through…

What sort of power output will the radio produce Lenthamen?

5 Watt

… about the same as the average G/A VHF transmitter, I should think?
Possibly even the same power stages, except adjustment for the (relatively small) difference in frequency.

Last Edited by at 21 Jul 15:39
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I’ve read that too. But it seems to be a UK only limitation. I have a Dutch license that doesn’t have this restriction.

A few years ago I broached the subject of Aeronautical amateur operation with a Senior RA official at a roadshow. He came up with the usual RA/CAA excuses, each saying the other did not allow it. I pointed out that the only restrictgion was to the holder of a UK issued licence and that as the holder of a FCC amateur radio licence and a FAA pilots licence there was actually no law to prevent me using it an a G Reg aircraft if I was the Captain, whose permission I would need. He tried to claim I could not do it, but could find no reference or reason why not. The RA was then replaced by Ofcom who are a complete bunch of buffoons.

15 Posts
Sign in to add your message