Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Six-Seated SEP club aircraft?

I had some requests like that, but I have to admit it is some “specific” mission.

LFMD, France

Yes six seats are occasionally useful. In my case more typically five.
For a club mission, however, I don’t think a 210 is the right aircraft: a club will not do good use of a travelling machine.
A PA-32 will be a cheaper and simple option for medium/short trips, as well as providing a more comfortable cabin for three-four adult backseaters. It is to be expected that individual club members will not be using such an expensive aircraft recurrently so better to keep it simple.
I only know of one club in Spain with that capability and it is ACBS with their PA-27. I occasionally see it offloading 4-6 people at LESB. A reasonable 333EUR/h price for a five-hour block or else 353/384EUR/h on weekdays/weekends.

Last Edited by Antonio at 16 Nov 10:13
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Oh, and of course PA-27 is MEP, not SEP

Antonio
LESB, Spain

With small kids it’s not so hopeless in a Cessna 172 as it looks. There exists a child bench as third row.

This is for that one hour flight with 2 adults and three kids. Should work!

Other than that a real six seater won’t work out for a club. It’s just too expensive. 55% fly solo, 40% training, that’s 2 POB. Don’t nail the numbers, but it’s in that ballpark.

I found out that we actually have an aircraft in the club with seating available for six. But it’s never ever been used for this. It’s our tow plane, a Maule 235.

Germany

UdoR wrote:

This is for that one hour flight with 2 adults and three kids. Should work!

Are you legally allowed to put five people into a four-seater? It’s a genuine question!

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

Are you legally allowed to put five people into a four-seater? It’s a genuine question!

AFAIK yes, as long as it’s the factory-installed fifth-seat option available on some Cessnas.

UdoR wrote:

Other than that a real six seater won’t work out for a club.

It’s a bit of a catch-22 situation. If you only have relatively slow 4-seaters then people don’t go on longer trips. OTOH if you do have a six-seat touring airplane, not many people fly it. Our club had a C210, but for most pilots it was too much airplane to handle, so it didn’t fly that much. However those who did fly it took it on sometimes week-long touring trips. I was one of a handful who really used it – best SEP ever made!. If I was in the market for a SEP, that’s what I would get.

arj1 wrote:

When I owned TB20 I registered it as a 4-seater because of lower insurance fee and the fact that I didn’t have any mission for 5 people. Regardless the fact that 5th seat and seatbelt were readily available on board, accorrding to our CAA I wasn’t able to legally use it.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message