Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Helicopters: why does the throttle work the wrong way?

@Peter wrote:

if you have an aviation related question or topic that has been bugging you

and although there’s PROB90 next to no interest in rotorcraft here I wonder:

which (Russian émigré ?) joker designed the twist throttle on a chopper’s collective lever to operate in the opposite sense to that of a motorbike?

Flying solo from the left seat (as some helicopters require) I can think of a workaround, but it might raise eyebrows at the next skill/proficiency check.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Gravity. And the direction your body and hand are moving when exposed to it. And to turbulence.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 02 Jul 10:58
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

It’s hard to pull on collective and also roll throttle inwards. The higher you pull, the more unnatural it gets. By having it roll outwards, it will naturally follow the motion of the hand when you pull. And in helicopters where there is no governor, this will make it easier to keep rpm steady as you pull more load.

Adam, that sounds a plausible theory, and there is a sort of ergonomic correlation between conventional collective and throttle. But with the lag of a turbo it doesn’t always work like that, because we need to give it gas before exerting upward pressure on the lever. Also, the range of movement of both controls is pretty small.

Ignoring new-fangled machines with governors and mechanical correlators…

Another theory is that uncle Igor’s original WW2 R-4 had a single collective lever between the seats, with the throttle operating “motorbike-wise” for an ex-fixed-wing pilot flying from left seat. Is that so? Then new chopper pilots trained in the right seat and stayed there.

The exception being machines designed to accommodate three bottoms side-by-side.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I just think it is easier to roll out than in when raising the lever.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message