Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus BRS / chute discussion, and would you REALLY pull it?

Flyer59 wrote:

The facts say: The fatal accident rate for the Cirrus for the last 3 years in sequence was lower than of the rest of GA. And that although the typcial mission profile for the SR2x is much more ambitious than for big parts of the other SEPs. SR22s are flown IFR and long distance much more than many other types.

Err, I read 1 part “fact” and 2 parts personal opinion …

Last Edited by Michael at 29 Oct 17:03
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Flyer59 wrote:

A little irony every now and then should be possible, right? I think everybody can take that much :-)

But you’re right so far that this topic should maybe be dumped. It became boring a long time ago.

I agree that a little sarcasm is ok but it cant be too critical otherwise it is best to follow it up with either a smile or a wink. Now if you are really hitting below the belt (highly aggressive upon a sensitive person) than a 2-3 smiley is required to keep things from escalating into armageddon.

With that said, I dont think this topic is boring at all. We are about to delve into Stilettos!

KHTO, LHTL

Ah, yeah – that’s called “netiquette”, the internet version of political correctness! ;-) ;-) ;-)

;-) !!!

Flyer59 wrote:

And that although the typcial mission profile for the SR2x is much more ambitious than for big parts of the other SEPs. SR22s are flown IFR and long distance much more than many other types.

Well maybe that is exactly what explains the (recent) safety record?

You can probably make anything look good if you carefully choose what you compare it to. Any airplane will look good if you compare its accident statistics to that of cropdusters

I would look for statistics for piston singles that spend most of their time enroute, up high under IFR instead of in the traffic circuit doing T&Gs or scud-running. Airplanes like the LC400/350/300, Piper Malibu, Mooney, Rockwell Commander…

Interesting how we managed to start another SR22 debate

LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

I would look for statistics for piston singles that spend most of their time enroute, up high under IFR instead of in the traffic circuit doing T&Gs or scud-running. Airplanes like the LC400/350/300, Piper Malibu, Mooney, Rockwell Commander…

Well you forgot one of the most versatile and popular all encompassing single engine aircraft whose production run was for 28 yrs and grew to be a champion among aircraft used for travel. Mainly the C 210 in all its variants. One small flaw not chute.

KHTO, LHTL

If you concentrate on types which do lots of hours enroute, high altitude, they should have the fewest incidents because nearly all IFR time is spent under blue skies

I have done many trips down to say Greece (say 20hrs) on which I had 5-10 mins IMC time.

So if a pilot population which achieves a “average for all GA” safety record is doing a lot of these flights, something is going badly wrong…

Has anyone researched the relative accidents per mile of the various “long distance IFR” types?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

C210_Flyer wrote:

Well you forgot one of the most versatile and popular all encompassing single engine aircraft

Sorry, C210_Flyer. I did consider including the C210 but decided against it because it is used for so many different missions, including missions that may be accident prone.

LFPT, LFPN

mh wrote:

This may well be a reason for glider pilots to take fast decision to leave the aircraft: Putting on the parachute does mean you are aware of that option.

Glider pilots also have a standard in cockpit pre flight list spoken out loud that involves pulling the chute before showing the thumb. A glider pilot died just a month ago here in the mountains (1200 m I think). The investigation is not finished, but the preliminary suggests he got into IMC or some other disorientation, jumped, pulled the chute only to hit the ground before the chute folded out. He was found 50m from the glider which looked rather undamaged.

Anyway, things like pulling the chute has to be a reflex action trained over and over again as a part of the pre flight in my opinion.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

So if a pilot population which achieves a “average for all GA” safety record is doing a lot of these flights, something is going badly wrong…

Hi Peter, all your posts regarding the Cirrus/CAPS are so biased, that it’s hard to discuss the topic any further ;-) You will try any argument, convincing or not, to prove your point. But there is no point, becasue the statistic, released by the NTSB clearly shows that the Cirrus is safer (less deaths) per 100.000 hours.

Aviathor wrote:

Well you forgot one of the most versatile and popular all encompassing single engine aircraft
Sorry, C210_Flyer. I did consider including the C210 but decided against it because it is used for so many different missions, including missions that may be accident prone.

Yes I know what you mean 210s are just not meant to do certain things like Glider tows or as Jump planes. I saw one being fitted out to do just that. I mean both of those missions. Next thing I heard it crashed. Not because of people jumping out but because it ran out of gas on TO. By the way it was a T210.

KHTO, LHTL
Sign in to add your message