Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Alpi Pioneer 300? Anyone own or flown one?

Hi,
I just bought an Alpi Pioneer 300. Its unflown for a few years. Only has 28hrs total time. It has the upgraded nose gear so the 560KG mtow applies. I hope to fly it for a year or so and see if I like it. On paper its a compelling thing, doing 125-130kts on 18 litres an hour VFR. I’ve never flown one but everyone who has says they are fast, but have a low stall speed.

Just wondering if anyone here owns or has flown one? I only just read about the D reg in flight breakup. Obviously if there was an english language version of the accident report it would be good to read. I have a wooden structures expert coming to check it out just in case I have overlooked anything.

William

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

WilliamF wrote:

Obviously if there was an english language version of the accident report it would be good to read.

I think the german report will be quite interesting, too. However, I don’t think it has been released, yet.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Only once sat in one and often see the owner beaming. However, his claimed top speed of 300 km/h may be … not straight and level. Only one caveat: he taxies noticeably slow on the bumpy taxiway, way slower than anyone with a fixed undercarriage and slower than e.g. Beechcraft owner. It might share this point with other very light retractables, so no peculiarity of the type, but of the concept.

Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

I think I’m right in saying that, because the wings are a wooden frame under ceconite, it really shouldn’t be left outdoors.

Yes I think the retract system would need to be shown mechanical and operational sympathy. I guess you might hit 300kph acting in a meteorite fashion, but they are supposed to cruise quite smartly. What I can tell you so far is parts are bloody cheap for them! You are getting 2-3x more bits per 1000 euro than you would for a Cessna or Piper. A tire for 25 euro, a sealed battery for 155 euro. Yes please!

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Hi there,

I’ve owned a Pioneer 300 (G-PION) for two years now, and done around 200 hours. That includes my two sons building hours for commercial training. So she’s quite robust!

That said I certainly agree with the need to respect the undercarriage. The odd hard landing is fine but repeated bashing may cause problems particularly if your home field is rough (as was the case initially for myself until I moved base). Don’t be put off grass, in fact a smooth grass strip is easier on the gear than a hard surface, in my view. Since moving base I must have done well over 200 landings including many different fields both grass and hard all over Europe with no problems.

For myself this is the ideal aircraft – fast cruise (125-130kts), great economy, and most importantly a very low stall speed with plenty warning which makes her feel very safe to fly.

Morty
Perth EGPT, United Kingdom
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message