Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Extra 400

What a gorgeous looking engine.You must be proud!

Flyingfish wrote:

Before I get nailed again

Haha! I guess when you expose yourself in a public forum this is a risk we all take. Fortunately Prob90 in this forum it will be well-meant nailing.

I personally dislike the oil filter setup with the outlet at the bottom: difficult not to make a mess at the time of filter change. I wonder if there is not an adapter you could use to install it upside down on the firewall or a different position like these Airwolf kits..

Flyingfish wrote:

I checked the chart, and it looks like this is a lot more than what the turbocharged engine should deliver at the same MP of 29.5 inches.
So I do expect this to be a very powerful engine, guessing 375+ HP at full power (39.5 inches) . Am I correct ?
If I can get the cooling right, take-off and climb should be quite interesting.

Obviously you have a powerful beast, but it is normal that you get more power than the TC charts for same MP since the turbocharger exhaust backpressure will mean you need at least a couple more inches MP than NA to make the same hp.

Flyingfish wrote:

Frankly I think they over did it: since the POH restricts the pilot from using all of the available MP over FL200, there is no benefit from making so much pressure.

You will definitely see that benefit (unless POH-limited) on ISA+20C days, not so rare any more nowadays.

Last Edited by Antonio at 24 Oct 21:43
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Thanks again Antonio. I can take quite a lot of nailing as long as it is from friendly posters. I think it is part of the fun, like a dogfight in a flight simulator!

Actually I am not proud about the engine, at least not until re-assembly is completed and it’s flying – although I do love it and am overall very thankful to have bumped into it. It is truly a magnificent piece of engineering, sadly unfinished…
As to remote oil filter, Yes, I am aware but the idea makes me nervous due to the added plumbing. I think I’ll stay with Spaghetti all’ olio minérale

You may be right about my unjustified rant on the oversized turbo, but we must keep in mind that the engine is IAT limited, so on an ISA+20 day there would be this limitation before the turbo runs out of spare pressure, no?

And lastly re actual power vs bench without turbo: I certainly agree that the back pressure will cost some power, any idea how much?
According to the chart, the complete engine would need 34.5 inches to make this 307 HP whereas the bench test showed 307 HP at 29.5 inches.
If this engine were only average this would imply that the back pressure is costing 5 inches, right?
Does this sound plausible? I would of course much prefer that you (or anyone which turbo-guru status) say « 2 inches is about right ».

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

Flyingfish wrote:

Spaghetti all’ olio minérale

Flyingfish wrote:

the engine is IAT limited, so on an ISA+20 day there would be this limitation before the turbo runs out of spare pressure, no?

It depends on the efficiency of the turbo and the intercooler. What is your experience? Is the IAT limitation an AFM limitation? What is it?

Flyingfish wrote:

The back pressure will cost some power, any idea how much?

Flyingfish wrote:

2 inches is about right

I did learn to map all this a long time ago…but I am afraid only the basic ideas remain in my brain….It is not that easy to figure it out depending on conditions, you need to factor, amongst other things:

-Type of turbocharger (on my airplane the first versions produced so much backpressure at altitude that a different, larger turbocharger with less backpressure was implemented for better temperature control)
-Type and current operating mode of wastegate control (ie on my engine it is always regulating for 37.5" UDP, maybe yours is only looking for 2" above MP (slope type controller) ?)
-Ambient conditions and power setting (ie backpressure will be higher the harder the turbo has to work to maintain the required inlet air conditions)
-Intercooler efficiency and pressure drop through it (ie if air pressure drops a lot through it then the turbo needs to work harder for the same MP)

Think of it in terms of pressure through the gas piping on the engine, and bear in mind the pressure drop in the turbine and the compressor are similar.

For your example, at low altitude, the numbers are probably easier, so I’ll bite. At SL for 29.5" MP , assuming say 2" drop (a reasonable number if your turbo controller is of the “slope” type, higher if not, like mine) across intercooler and throttle body, that means you need about 29.5+2=31.5" compressor outlet pressure . We can assume at high power and SL the pressure drop through the air filter and associated ducts will be say 0.3" depending on your ducting and filter. That means your compressor inlet pressure will be around 29.92-0.3=29.62" . Pressure increase through the compressor will be about 31.5-29.62=1.88" and we can assume turbine pressure drop will be similar, so the back pressure on the exhaust will be similar or about 2" , and will be regulated by the wastegate to spin the turbine just right for about 31.5". At those low backpressure values you can assume the effect of backpressure is equivalent or a bit less than a similar decrease in MP. So 29.5" MP without turbo or intercooler in the test cell at SL is roughly equivalent to 31-31.5" with turbo and intercooler on the aircraft at SL.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Hi Antonio, thanks for taking the time!
The limitation of IAT is self inflicted ( on the advice of a motorist). The aircraft had no IAT probe and so Extra put a cap on MP at altitude. This more or less matches my own limitations on an ISA day, but on hotter days my self limit is more stringent than « book »…
Intercooler efficiency is not great – between 43 and 50%.
my sloped controller is indeed of the – sloped type.

I say «  amen » to your calculation, with no comment for lack of knowledge… but the good news is that this implies that the engine should make something like 380 HP at its nominal MP and RPM. And this draws a comment:

wooohoo!

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

Antonio wrote:

fibreglass sleeving…It is somewhat conductive and provides a minor measure of shielding. If you are really interested then there are also full EMI shielding versions available.

I came up with this on a different project and realized my mistake here: I don’t know what I must have been thinking: fibreglass sleeving is a good insulator, not conductive. You need the EMI type of sleeving if that is what you are after.

The pure fibreglass does not need it, but the EMI type may need separate insulation for your uninsulated JPI terminals if they are to live inside the sleeving, as they are conductive.

Most aircratf installations, however, work well without such extreme measures.

Last Edited by Antonio at 28 Oct 12:22
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Flyingfish wrote:

The limitation of IAT is self inflicted

I seem to recall you posted about it, yes. Can you direct us to your post on it?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

It is post 78 on this thread, and her is the relevant part:

“To your question about my 130F IAT limit.
130 F is about 55 C. This limit was recommended by a retired formula one motorist who has also designed an aircraft engine.
He took into account the relatively low boost (39.5 inches or 1.3 bar) to decide that 55F was the safe limit to stay clear from detonation.

On hot days, I manage the climb on the basis of IAT.
Every time it hits 130, reduce MP by 1 inch and adjust climb rate to maintain 120 KIAS.
So on a very hot day, my first limiting factor really is IAT, before coolant or oil…"

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

I think this IAT limit is very conservative.

In general, if you are cruising LOP, peak ICP’s (internal cylinder pressures) are so much lower (vs ROP) that a higher IAT does not pose such a high detonation risk.

A different matter is if you are operating slightly ROP for max power in climb (or F1 racing) when ICP’s will indeed be high

some widely known visualization of ICP vs crank angle

from this old and well known article here

So if you are ROP yes you have to be more careful about MP and IAT, but LOP cruise should not need to be so conservative, at least from detonation concerns. Also intercooler efficiency with high-altitude , low-density air is not as high as down low.

Of course you know this but for the same MP, your CDT (compressor discharge) will be higher as you climb, since compressor pressure ratio climbs form 1.1 at SL to over 2.5 at FL200 for say 32"MP. This means you will have little over ambient CDT at SL vs over 100C at FL200 on an ISA+10/+20 day , so aiming for 55C IAT with an intercooler efficiency of 40% is no easy feat, as you have found out. On warm days my typical data for 31" MP is CDT/IAT of 100C/50C (OAT -9C) at FL170 and 110C/72C (OAT -10C) at FL200. I think redoing a cleaning of the internals in my intercooler would improve those numbers a bit. On my 210 the intercooler is an aftermarket mod, though, but as you see efficiency is better lower down than higher up.

Last Edited by Antonio at 29 Oct 11:39
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio, as soon as Galatea is back in the air, I ‘d love to come visit you and get some education on high power LOP if I may.
Before the present rebuild I was never comfortable running my engine LOP because now and then it would « miss a beat » and generally sounded strained. This despite GAMIjectors and mag checks etc… I do hope this changes with the rebuild, but am not holding my breath…

Being an engineer I fully grasp the benefit of LOP but I just don’t trust the « feel » of it, and I have only done it for any significant time when loitering at 45% power – it worked fine then…

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

Reading again and again through the good old wisdom, I could not find any usable info to answer this:
Engine operation wisdom assumes CHTs around 350-380F. What impact does a reduction of CHT to the 230-270F band have?
How much does this lower CHT affect the combustion event and what additional safety margin does it « buy »?
My only factual data points are:
After 600 hours of operating the TSIOL 550 as follows:
- 88% power ROP during the climb to FL200 ( 125 liters per hour, TIT around 1400 F, CH peaking at 270F at top of climb)
- 60% power ROP in cruise and descent ( 72 liters per hour, TIT 1650 F, CHT 230-240F)
The engine failed due to a spalled cam lobe and upon disassembly, we found the cylinders in the following condition:
- no significant wear to the barrel
- exhaust valve guides had some wear and variable amounts of deposit
. pistons looked almost new, no or very little deposits, all piston rings fine
- bottom end perfect except for the failed cam lobe
- spark plugs clean ( always were)
- general tendency of oil sneaking inside cylinders, past turbo bearing into engine inlet – blamed by my mechanic on too conservative MP in cruise

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message