Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Views on DA40

With the SR20 you are in a higher class than the DA40, let’s say C182 class

The C182 has quite a bit more horse power at a considerably lower weight. I don’t think they are comparable. The standard 182 doesn’t translate the HP into high cruise speed but into exceptional STOL and useable load capabilities, both areas where the SR20 lacks.

HIRF screening?

see Link

EDxx, Germany

A lot of that EASA66 ground school stuff is complete gobbledygook.

On the DA40, does this mean that EASA has stricter requirements, and if so how exactly are they complied with?

The only way to test this is with a whole-aircraft test in a chamber.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Neil,
Go browse a bit on www.diamondaviators.net
Pretty open discussions on the pluses and minuses of Diamond aircraft.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Thanks Aart, I found this site and it is very interesting. There are clearly a few gripes, and a few recurring issues, but that seems to be the same with all aircraft type specific forums. I suppose you can’t please all the people all the time.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

For some reason owner satisfaction seem very high with the DA-40, according to both Aviation Consumer and to hearsay. I have flown the Thielert about 60 hrs (the Lycoming 1 hr), and while the Thielert is somewhat underpowered for a tourer in general, it certainly is not if you compare to the 135 HP and its fuel burn of 5 gph at 125-130 KT. Cobalt, I find that the 2.0 engine climbs well straight to FL 160, maintaining 90%+ above FL120 (not the 1.7 engine).

The 155 HP Thielert with increased MTOM is desirable for take-off and loading performance, but check the price.

Pro: handling incl. x-wind, visibility, simplicity, rear seat access. Con: cockpit space, low flap speeds, limited useful load for the 135 HP Thielert version. And I have never had more than traces of ice on it and would not like to try. The KAP 140 autopilot seems no better in this type than in many others, i.e. neither accurate nor very reliable.

The XLS model with Lycoming and G1000/GFC700 seems like an attractive choice.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

I just became a proud co-owner of a DA40 G1000 TDI (callsign PH-PCA). It still smells new
It currently has a 1.7Thielert engine, but it will be replaced with a new 2.0 Centurion engine the coming month.

Being able to fly on JET fuel is a big pro. It is available everywhere, and it is cheap.
The Thielert engines have a bad reputation, but the new 2.0 Centurion engines are fine!

It is true that the DA40 diesel is underpowered. That’s the price you pay for flying an economical aircraft that does 5GPH JET fuel.
If you plan to visit short fields, you’re better of with the 180HP Lycoming. However, if you visit paved runways with, say, at least 700m the diesel is fine.

A very nice bonus is that the Centurion 2.0 engine is turbo charged, and it performs very well at altitude!
Performance is much better than POH performance, as that is based on the 1.7 Thielert.

I regularly fly with a 2.0L diesel DA40 on FL160 and it performs perfectly fine at altitude… It can do FL200 without problems.

But probably, if I were to go for a Diamond, I would go for a used DA40 and install a Thielert 2.0s (155 hp) along with an STC for 1199kgs…

Boscomantico, it looks like the OSB you are referring to is only available for the 180hp Lycoming DA40.
Service Bulletins for the DA40-180
Service Bulletins for the DA40 TDI

The Increase of Take-Off Mass to 1200 kg, Adjustment of Elevator Travel and Replacement of Limitations Placard modification is only listed in the DA40-180 bulletins…

As a prerequisite, this modification needs a landing gear strut update, which seems to be costly.

It’s a pity. Being able to carry another 50kg makes a lot of difference!

Last Edited by lenthamen at 04 Mar 15:42

Congrats on the new airplane.

However,

It is true that the DA40 diesel is underpowered. That’s the price you pay for flying an economical aircraft that does 5GPH JET fuel.
If you plan to visit short fields, you’re better of with the 180HP Lycoming. However, if you visit paved runways with, say, at least 700m the diesel is fine.

even if accounting for the fuel advantage, that would be way too much of a limitation for me if owning an SEP touring aircraft in Europe. Too many nice airfields here that have slightly marginal runways (~500 meters of asphalt or ~600 meters of grass), especially in the British Isles, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland and Italy.

No aircraft can ever have too much power; but this one (especially with the heavy G1000 avionics) definitely has a bit too little.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 04 Mar 15:47
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Congratulations on a fine airplane, Lenthamen. That really sounds like economical flying. I decided to buy an SR22 a year ago, just had to have a powerful airplane once in a lifetime. But I can well imagine flying a Diesel too. I know that there’s at least one prototype flying with the Mercedes/Thielert/TCM V8 Diesel… once THAT becomes true I will think about what to do once my engine needs an overhaul!

Where’s the photo of the plane? :-)

Sign in to add your message