Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna 152 - what is so special about this plane ?

In a world where costs increase on a yearly basis, you’d think GA would be more oriented towards operational efficiency but everywhere i go its full of C152s.

Arguments vary from “its cheap to purchase”, “its easy to fly” to “its easy to maintain” but besides the ease of flight all of those arguments are not true.

You put this aircraft on paper and operationally speaking the C152 is just an old and expensive 2 seater.

The latest models from 1985 go for around 60k to 50k depending on how well maintained they are, the modifications they have and the avionics installed.

The airframes have a ton of hours (8000h tt +)

They are equipped with Lycoming O-235, expensive price to buy brand new, ancient design that barely outputs 110hp and by no means easy to work on by yourself

The performance is also lackluster in every single aspect

Overall there are many other 2 seaters that can be bought for 60k or less that are newer, have modern avionics, have better performance and are easy to maintain.

So, why the C152 ? What is so special about it ?

everywhere i go its full of C152s.

Maybe that is because you go where you go.

In Germania, the biggest GA nation in Europe, C152s are becoming rare. This has to do with various things:

• German noise regulation
  • hard to be weight legal with two men on board
  • students nowadays want moeern avionics
  • students nowadys want modern airframes

In France, where these have been built, I don‘t see many C152s anymore either.

The only two place with many C152s are:

• the UK, which still loves them
  • Eastern Europe, which has bought most Central European 152s over the last two decades
Last Edited by boscomantico at 30 Jun 14:58
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

JoeMama_the_Pilot wrote:

So, why the C152 ? What is so special about it ?

Beats me. I used to fly a C-152 Aerobat. That was fun, but way under powered of course, and cramped. I think this has more to do with the average age of GA pilots. Lots of people have flown a C-152, and has good memories, because it was a nice little plane back in the day. Compared with modern Rotax powered stuff, it’s just laughable, but with some charm. More like a VW Beetle or a Morris Mini or something.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Arguments vary from “its cheap to purchase”, “its easy to fly” to “its easy to maintain” but besides the ease of flight all of those arguments are not true.

I think all those items are true, and more to the point they keep being true for a long time and many hours of operation. Prices have risen a lot in the last four years, that’s true, but many of the 152s in current fleets were bought for $20-25K or the local equivalent.

Overall there are many other 2 seaters that can be bought for 60k or less that are newer, have modern avionics, have better performance and are easy to maintain.

Which ones will still be around and doing the same job in 30 years? That’s what drives depreciation, which is a major factor in cost of ownership. As you’ve noticed, C152s have undergone negative depreciation over the last few years, rising in value instead.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 30 Jun 15:06

Silvaire wrote:

That’s what drives depreciation, which is a major factor in cost of ownership

Cars experience the exact same thing, often to a much higher degree. At some point the affection value becomes important. None of them are doing “the same job” as they did 30 years ago.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

boscomantico wrote:

In Germania, the biggest GA nation in Europe, C152s are becoming rare

Its true that so far im flying in places where the amount of C152s is especially high because in the past they were ridiculously cheap, but i still cant imagine flying in a country and not encounter at least a couple C152 on my trip (whether its on the ground or in flight)

Silvaire wrote:

but many of the 152s in current fleets were bought for $20-25K or the local equivalent.

how do you do that in today’s awful market ? do you just buy projects and overhaul them with your own crew ?

My guess is that C152s will still be a good investment if bought in good condition at current market value. The trick will be finding them in nice condition, because there’s a finite supply and they’re being flown, making money.

The two C152s I flew a bit in 2003 or so are still doing the same job: Here’s one and here’s another Both of those had about 4500 hrs TTIS in 2003. The C150 I soloed in 1980 is still flying regularly in a club too, 44 years later. It was worth $4000 at that time.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 30 Jun 18:19

From a commercial school’s standpoint, C152 has several advantages. Firstly, it’s a Cessna with its typical handling qualities, easy to learn on, easy to teach on, and easy to standardise the instruction and maintenance – everyone and their dog knows it. Secondly, it’s obviously cheaper to operate than a C172, and the O-235 engine in a C152 has a TBO of 2400 hours compared to 1800 for an O-200 in a C150.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I always had a soft spot for the C152’s. I think it flies really nice, with light, well balanced controls. Yeah, it’s cramped and power limited, but it’s something about its snub-nosed appearance that just makes me smile.

There was AOPA article (I think) about a taildragger conversion C152 a guy had made with big Alaska wheels and total military utility interior. It was super cool, and I got serious envy. He put a bigger engine too, if I recall correctly.

AdamFrisch wrote:

There was AOPA article (I think) about a taildragger conversion C152 a guy had made with big Alaska wheels and total military utility interior. It was super cool, and I got serious envy. He put a bigger engine too, if I recall correctly.

No Alaska wheels on this one, but a conversion alright:

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message