Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Syberjet SJ30

I evaluated this trio (CJ4 Gen2, PH300E, PC24) and as always things look good on paper but with real world factors such as 100kts+ headwinds or even stupid ATC restrictions @loco has a point. CJ4 Gen 2 came out favorably of many factors concerned including speaking to pilots experienced in both the 4 and Phenom. PC24 is too slow unless you need the „bush“ flying aspect like the flying doctors down under.

If you want 2000NM range, get a plane that can do 30% more @MTOM on paper. That means basically leaving light jets behind and going for the next class up, which is, as so often in aviation, again another financial universe.

So, the SJ30 has a USP there. But, there’s no free lunch!

Last Edited by Snoopy at 08 Aug 08:29
always learning
LO__, Austria

I was writing about the ability of flying the route at full speed. Marketing ranges are on LRC, so one needs to subtract a couple hundred miles. None of the three planes mentioned validate today in Foreflight at HSC with my route.

Edit: what Snoopy wrote above.

Last Edited by loco at 08 Aug 08:46
LPFR, Poland

Addendum edit

That means basically leaving light jets and SPA/CS23 certification behind…

always learning
LO__, Austria

loco wrote:

Here’s a cutaway I found

Very interesting. The unique design choice seems to sacrifice one passenger row present in other such jets for a massive fuel tank which takes up a full slice of the hull. Reminds me of the Sierra Citation conversions which did a simular thing. Also creating a small jet with exceptional range in the process.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Interesting background on the SJ30 and designer Ed Swearingen here

Fascinating read, very enjoyable.

“I’m just bowled over by the large number of turboprops being sold that are powered by jet engines,” Swearingen said. “If you look up and see an airplane fly over and it looks like a jet, there’s a good reason that it looks like a jet and not a turboprop. A straight wing is just laughable on a jet-powered airplane.”

A big wink wink to the legacy Slowtations 😆

always learning
LO__, Austria

Still a gorgeous plane with some Ed Swearingen tell-tale designs like the shark fin (he put that on the SX300, too and hinted at it on the Comanche). But as mentioned, it’s a owner/pilot type of jet for those that want to go far and fast, not a passenger plane. Customers are not going top put up with a plane that doesn’t have an enclosed potty for that kind of money. Interestingly enough, actor Morgan Freeman has owned one for years that he flies.

17 Posts
Sign in to add your message