Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna 150

My favorite, did my first solo and took my PPL in this one:

Took my night rating in this one:

Also have flown this one, which was been involved in 3 accidents of the same type (nose gear collapse, none by me, none fatal):

http://www.oy-reg.dk/register/422.html
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/187649
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/195367

It’s written off now, resting at a museum in Skurup.

ESME, ESMS

Peter wrote:

In Europe, we constantly struggle with fuel availability, airport opening times, etc, and planes which are “useful” in Europe for going places probably need 2x the range as a result of these factors.

It strongly depends where. The kind of travel you do sure. The moment you go south of the Alps and outside of France or so, as well. But within central Europe, we still have an abundance of airfields within distances of 20-50 NM, where range really does not matter. As I said, it depends on the mission. You can take a 150 and go on a 2 week air-hike around Bavaria or France and have a load of fun doing that. Same applies for a Rallye or PA28-140, which in fact does not have that much more speed and about similar baggage space (even though you can take more weight. 90-100kt air bicycles with 150 kg payload. (I still remember the figures I found out: MTOW 726 kg, EW 503 kg, 25 USG fuel 70 kg, so 150 kg payload. I could do that then, 2 up and baggage).

The one reason why I prefer a more capable plane these days is that a) I have literally outgrown the 150 and b) my dreams of mission are different. But I had a load of fun looking through my first airplane logs this morning and fond memories.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

That’s a lot of C150 experience on the board…

@eal, my mistake, I should have written “your Diamond or whatever” as I had no idea what kind of plane you fly other than it being by your own description more complex than a C150, and a vague memory that it ran on kerosene.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 10 Jan 14:58

Great thread Bosco!

I can confirm that Verona Boscomantico is still quite busy with C150, three of them recently added by myself….. :-)

F150L I-PROS ( formerly D-EEZR) c/n 868
F 150 L I-DERI ( formerly HB-CVY) c/n 740
F150 L I-NOLV c/n 1116

I will soon add some pics here of these three workhorses of my ATO..

Meanwhile if anyone in the forum can retrieve and publish some pics or memorabilia when they were somehow “younger” I would be grateful!

Italy

I´ve found seven different 150s/152s in my logbooks. Over the last two years I´ve flown quite a few hours in these two:

But the one I liked the most and that I hope I will fly again is this C150TD, formerly a standard H model.

EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany

I-PROS

Italy

I-DERI

Italy

I-NOLV

Italy

Thanks everyone for their stories and pics. Keep them coming. But no more 152s, please

Special thanks to Abiflyer for bringing back memories. I would love to fly one of them next time I am in Verona.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I think some of the comments on the C150 are a bit harsh.

Smelly cockpits, inop stickers and basket case engines are no fault of the type there a fault of the ‘minimum maintenance’ operation.

Also it isn’t a trans Europe touring aircraft. It’s a basic trainer and it does that well. Being quite versatile and I’ve seen it used for night, instrument and aerobatic training.

I’ve flown most models and have to say I wasn’t a fan of the older manual flap versions and the tailwheel conversions weren’t a patch on the C120/140.

My favourite version is the O-240 powered aerobat and although engine parts can be hard to find. The engine itself is a better engine than the O-200. It doesn’t suffer from sticking exhaust valves or failed main bearings. Which is one of the reason the C152 has largely replaced it.

Last Edited by Bathman at 10 Jan 20:12
Sign in to add your message