Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Desperately looking for an aircraft in the UK for a solo IFR trip 18th to 23th

Alpha_Floor wrote:

They require 5 hours on type due to insurance unfortunately. DA42 hours don’t count.

You could do this with an instructor in a day or two? Obviously expensive but it depends how desperate you are :)

Biggin Hill, United Kingdom

SueAir has DA40NG, checkout should be easy if you have 100h and enough glass cockpit
I recall it was 1h of dual circuits flying then straight to France next weekend
I can send you the CRI contact for checkout (he does IFR trips as well)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

I can send you the CRI contact for checkout (he does IFR trips as well)

Yes please!

EDDW, Germany

Ibra wrote:

SueAir has DA40NG, checkout should be easy if you have 100h and enough glass cockpit

That one is not available either. Not enough hours on it before maintenance.

EDDW, Germany

ChrisP wrote:

You could do this with an instructor in a day or two? Obviously expensive but it depends how desperate you are :)

The instructor said he wouldn’t be able to do those 5 hours before Sunday.

EDDW, Germany

The reality is no one has any interest in letting their aircraft go overseas at the minute as if it gets bent or goes u/s it would be a monumental drama

Last Edited by MattL at 14 Apr 16:34
Posts are personal views only.
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

MattL wrote:

The reality is no one has any interest in letting their aircraft go overseas at the minute as if it gets bent or goes u/s it would be a monumental drama

Of course. That’s why I’m looking for someone with a “can-do” attitude :)

EDDW, Germany

MattL wrote:

Ever-increasing degrees of the same mentality is why rental just isn’t a reasonable proposition for anyone trying to use a light aircraft for any purposeful trip.

It’s also a monumental (or at least, something of a) drama if it gets bent or goes U/S at anywhere more than X nm away, or anywhere unlicenced, or anywhere grass, or anywhere without maintenance facilities, or frankly anywhere that isn’t home base.

I don’t have a solution to any of this – as I understand the clear and obvious risks to the owner – but it’d be nice if renting a plane could be a bit more like renting a car. Maybe better insurance might help? As it is, anyone who wants to do anything meaningful with an aeroplane, beyond A-A flights and quick day trips to somewhere nearby, needs to look at an aircraft solution other than rental.

EGLM & EGTN

When I was doing my PPL, and hanging around for a bit afterwards, the schools would never do a fly-out abroad unless each plane had an FI in the RHS.

This served two purposes: they were able to bill every leg as a self fly hire plus instructor time, and there was no risk of the LHS deciding the return wx was too bad to fly back in and getting a Ryanair back and abandoning the plane there.

In this case that is daft because the OP has an EASA CPL/IR and wouldn’t do that unless the plane broke.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Exactly that. I took part in one such excursion in maybe 2012 and had an ‘interesting ’ conversation with ops afterwards, explaining that although a certain very nice instructor had sat in the RHS for a 2hr leg from Hilversum to Calais, he wasn’t instructing me and I would be paying for 2hrs solo hire.

EGLM & EGTN
Sign in to add your message