Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

3 x RAF Harrier for sale - are these any good?

Those costs are amazingly low. The Harrier was quoted in some govt stats at £40k/hr, but of course there are loads of ways of accounting

The F16 is indeed great value. Probably half of the cost of the Eurofighter.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Bit of thread drift here…

Landing back at my base, Prescott Az., I heard a call “Harrier, flight of 6”. Thinking this is some sort of exotic homebuilt, I taxied in and parked. Leaving the airplane, I looked at the approach and was gobsmacked, stunned, joyous to see a flight of 6 Harriers on Final! They landed and taxied to the FBO ramp where they shut down. This was of course the US Marine Corps.

Well I made my way over there and said to the FBO guy who I know “do you think they’d let me (a foreigner) on the ramp?” “Sure” he said and introduced me to the CO, who then gave me a tour. I expressed regret about how we didn’t have any now and he said “Don’t worry about that – they’re all here now”. It turned out two of the pilots were Brits as well – one RAF and one RN.

The CO told me there was no immediate threat to them keeping flying (this was maybe 2015) but I don’t know the current situation ref F35, etc..

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message