Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Affordable light twins?

Well I just found the book (“the Piper Indians”) and it has no information about that plane. So much for my memory.

Ha here is the write up I remembered: https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/aircraft-and-ownership/aircraft-fact-sheets/piper-aztec

“The last Apache model, produced with 235-hp O-540 engines from 1962 to 1965, shared the same tail, so a close look is necessary to differentiate the two models.”

It’s probably a nice airplane but if I were looking for an Aztec I would make a low ball offer on the E model sleeping at La Réunion (also on planecheck) ..

Last Edited by wleferrand at 03 Mar 22:02

@Mooney_Driver
“Why prop overhauls? Calendar time? Do they have to be done under NCO?”

If you are heavier than 2730 kg MTOW you cannot use a self declared AMP. I think the PA-31 is just above that. Last time I checked Cessna 340 was just inside the scope with 2719 kg as MTOW.

ESSZ, Sweden

Yes I just noticed its over 1999kg therefore not a light twin and unsellable in Europe. And 22gph@ 160 kts is also not very attractive.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Why is everyone so paranoid about enroute charges? In the scheme of your costs of owning and maintaining any old aircraft, single or twin, it’s not a lot of money. Even if you flew 100hrs per year, all enroute IFR, around 500nm each trip, you’re looking at what, €5-7000? Any legacy twin aircraft would burn 5x as much in fuel and cost 5x in maintenance.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 06 Mar 17:00

AdamFrisch wrote:

you’re looking at what, €5-7000?

For quite a lot of people that IS a lot of money and for many this is about their flying budget, so that is why I for one will never own anything bigger than my current and very efficient plane.

Looking at some of the more efficient twins like the Twin Comanche, prices reported by owners are around €300 per hour, so this would translate into about 20 flying hours just given to Eurocontrol. That is what many people fly per year. If, as it has been suggested, Eurocontrol would do away with the 1999kg limit, it would mean the complete death of light IFR in Europe.

For most people who have been in touch with me re light twins or other planes, 1999 kg is an absolute limit therefore. That is why planes like Barons or 310s practically don’t sell in Europe or are either operated on 1999kg STC (and almost always overloaded) or people who really do not need to watch their money go for larger 3-5.7 ton planes like Cheyennes or even small jets. Mid size piston twins are as good as dead in Europe, that is why e.g you can find airworthy Navajos for the price of a Morane Rallye and the likes with no takers.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

A Piper Apache with 2x Avco Lycoming O-540-B1A5?
It’s like a Twin Dakota.
ESMK, Sweden

Regarding the Eurocontrol charges, I just got the bill for February for a 2.4T MTOW PA-23. Posting it to serve as a real world datapoint. feb2020_pdf

Interesting. How many hours / miles is the €324 for?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Each leg is roughly 250nm, so 1500 nautical miles total. 9-10 hours flight time.

Sign in to add your message