Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft Documents - EASA and FAA (merged)

I was required to present all above mentioned documents including plog, W&B sheet, recent NOTAMs and complete weather information during check performed by our agency after landing to Zadar (LDZD). It took 30 min for them to complete the check :(

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

How recent was that?

I wonder how they would deal with the data if presented in electronic form?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

recent NOTAMs and complete weather

I would also check on local knowledge. Maybe Achmiha can comment on my experience on the complete picture as he has more experience... but I used to carry printed NOTAMS and a weather brief from SkyDemon for little bimble flights.

I was told in no uncertain terms, during a ramp check at an airfield not too far from my current home base, that the only valid documents to answer that requirement were a DFS Notam Brief, and a GAFOR print out. I had neither. I got away with it... just but think I am on a list because I have been checked going back there every time. I think I am easy to spot, I'm the guy with a British accent flying a home reg for that country.

What I do now is still take my own weather, but make sure that I have GAFOR, and for the NOTAMs my little trick, as my knowledge of the local language is functional but not fluent, is to also print a narrow route brief from NATS AIS, this allows a cross reference because the IDs are the same.

P.S. I was also told that GAFOR is a legal document within these FIRs...so if it says Wx is below minimums but the TAFs and actuals are CAVOK (little extreme example), then I am on very thin ground legally speaking-personally my bullshit radar went off.

EDHS, Germany

I was also told that GAFOR is a legal document within these FIRs...so if it says Wx is below minimums but the TAFs and actuals are CAVOK (little extreme example), then I am on very thin ground legally speaking-personally my bullshit radar went off.

I think your bullshit radar is very accurate.

The problem with the "enforcement" and "control" types of professions is that they attract a particular personality type.

And the most aggressive people tend to be the thickest.

Administrator

How recent was that?

August 2012.

I wonder how they would deal with the data if presented in electronic form?

I had NOTAMs, METAR and TAF, W&B (application) and flight plan (EuroFPL) in electronic form, SWC and wind in paper, charts both in electronic form and paper and aircraft documents in paper form. Journey log for the aircraft is booklet we always have to have in the aircraft. The only objection (minor) they had was W&B application since it didn't have some kind of fixed output like generating PDF with date and time of calculation.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I wonder what is the best way to deal with this.

Perhaps one should ask the officer for the legal reference so as a law obiding citizen you can properly comply with the law

Administrator

The problem with the "enforcement" and "control" types of professions is that they attract a particular personality type.

And the most aggressive people tend to be the thickest.>

Bravo!....I have been preaching this for years as it applys to all walks of life.....I usually say "you're not born a policeman (or other rule enforcer)....you choose to be one".... :)

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

would be interested in comments about the lost docs and carrying others docs points . . .

Then "if it was actually law" (it soon will be) you would have been operating illegally!

(a) The following documents, manuals and information shall be carried ****on each flight as originals or copies unless otherwise specified:

Who said complying with the law had to be sensible?

Perhaps one should ask the officer for the legal reference so as a law obiding citizen you can properly comply with the law

The trouble with that is that while you might eventually win the argument, you've end up spending a few hours having that argument instead of enjoying your trip.

Having heard a few people report that in Germany there have been ramp inspections demanding W&B computation, whenever I go there I keep a generic prefilled W&B comp with me. It's not going to change much on a trip (or indeed from one trip to the next) so will get over that problem if needed ;)

I agree that such a requirement is probably not based on law, but it's easier to keep them quiet on get on with my holiday.

As for needing DFS notams that's plain wrong. The AIS in the country of departure is responsible for your NOTAM briefing. DFS would be quiet entitled to refuse you a NOTAM briefing for an international flight arriving in Germany as it's not their responsibility. Probably not likely, but possible.

The one thing I rarely carry on board is a flight plan, as it's not submitted on paper. It's either done electronically or over the phone with Shannon.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

As for needing DFS notams that's plain wrong. The AIS in the country of departure is responsible for your NOTAM briefing.

For complete clarity on this one, I am speaking about an internal flight within Germany on board a D-Reg.

When I was back in Blighty I never really bothered carrying a printed copy of NOTAMs except when I flew internationally, and when I did it was either a Route Brief from NATS AIS or a printed copy of SkyDemon.

When I arrived here, someone told me to make sure I had a copy of Weather and NOTAMs for each flight printed out in case of ramp check... I just used SkyDemon/Metoffice/NATS AIS... the tools I had used before. When I was ramped checked the guy "helpfully" pointed out that the DFS do log your reg and time of flight so that they can check if you have briefed properly.

But personally I have never seen a "Book Out" book like we have in the UK, so I think that it has more to do with knowing where/from a pilot was going in case anything happens.

EDHS, Germany
Sign in to add your message