Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aerocoat paint

LGMG Megara, Greece

Cirrus pilots on both sides of the Atlantic have used Aerocoat with our nano crystal surface technology currently protecting over £5m worth of aircraft across the UK, New Jersey and Florida and improving flight performance by ten knots.

10 knots on an SR22? I think that is completely wild.

I have never seen any evidence that paint makes any measurable difference at GA speeds.

Commander 114B saw a ground speed increase of 8 knots after Aerocoat

That’s a really good one

I can’t find anything on their website which says what it actually is. Is it a whole paint system (primer, base, UV lacquer) or just lacquer? It sounds like it is just a clear lacquer. Is it 2-pack or air drying? I have never managed to find any air drying paint (i.e. one pack) which is any good for aircraft. Everything comes off under alcohol (IPA) or avgas.

It is possible that someone has managed to develop something like this but which actually does something and works in flight. It will happen eventually.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s about 2200 inc vat if you want to have a dabble and give us a PIREP

I’ve painted aeroplanes for less than that. Maybe it is amazing. I don’t know.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Coincidentally, I was approached by Aerocoat recently who gave a very impressive sales pitch on the phone, so I was interested to read the somewhat less-than-glowing impressions here!

For what it’s worth, I asked them if they’d like to make a comment and this what they have sent, asking me to circulate freely:

We have had over 20 years’ experience in British Aerospace and Aerocoat is nano coating crystal technology. It reduces boundary layer drag and the increases in groundspeed post process have been reported to us by the pilots of the Cirrus and Commanders aircraft in question, one of which works for Airbus.

Aerocoat isn’t a paint, primer or lacquer but liquid glass that’s applied directly to the aircraft and under CAA certification.

It will also dramatically reduce your cleaning costs, we’ve had clients who haven’t physically had to clean their aircraft on the ground 12 months after the Aerocoat process, it was self cleaning in the clouds.

jgmusic
North Weald, United Kingdom

I am still concerned about some statements

nano coating crystal technology

That’s probably true of all paint!

the increases in groundspeed post process have been reported to us by the pilots of the Cirrus and Commanders aircraft in question, one of which works for Airbus.

Not likely because “ground speed” is meaningless; nobody who has a PPL should have said that.

liquid glass

hmmmmmm… it might discolour the existing paint a bit

under CAA certification

Can he supply the “CAA certification” reference?

This may well be true:

It will also dramatically reduce your cleaning costs, we’ve had clients who haven’t physically had to clean their aircraft on the ground 12 months after the Aerocoat process, it was self cleaning in the clouds.

But seriously the thing which would concern me is compatibility with existing paints. It is quite easy to apply one paint system over another and have the one underneath bubble up. I’ve managed to do it… IIRC, 2K paint (widely used in car body repair) applied over polyurethane (widely used on planes) will do that nicely, depending exactly on what the topcoat (usually a UV lacquer) is. IME, most aerosol paints bubble up under 2K.

Administrator

Latest response from Aerocoat below. I’m a fan of A-Glaze which gives pretty good results, but this seems to take things to another level – if true…

We’re a Part M, Subpart F, Subpart G CAA approved maintenance organisation so we’re not a man in a van, we operate out of dedicated clean room hangar facilities.

The proof is in the pudding and Aerocoat does exactly what we say below, almost 70 aircraft completed in the UK and USA, Gulfstream to Cirrus to Daher-Socata TBM aircraft.

100% satisfaction rate from owners which includes two former Concorde pilots, we take aircraft in and out of service when applying as per CAA guidelines as we’re affecting change on the aircraft.

Aerocoat Benefits:

Long term gloss and colour retention to new paint.

Restores old paint to a factory fresh and glass like appearance.

Applied under CAA licence, reduces boundary layer drag and cleaning time

Hydrophobic, UV resistant, forms a barrier against corrosion

Peter wrote:

But seriously the thing which would concern me is compatibility with existing paints.

I’ll ask them about this.

jgmusic

Peter wrote:

But seriously the thing which would concern me is compatibility with existing paints.

Their response:
“It’s a cutting agent so you’re never applying over something other than the original paintwork. There’s a lot of misinformation. We’d NEVER use something from the car industry in aviation for starters!”

They sound very happy for people to fly in (Earls Colne) and see it in person and ask questions.

I’m not on commission btw, just very curious!

jgmusic

It’s a cutting agent so you’re never applying over something other than the original paintwork. There’s a lot of misinformation. We’d NEVER use something from the car industry in aviation for starters!

I think I have identified my next career, for when I get tired of electronics, flying and EuroGA

Marketing!

I will retain Boris Johnson as my personal trainer.

Administrator

Ha!

jgmusic
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message