Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Advice to become a co-owner

blueline wrote:

OTOH the most expensive aircraft is the one you invest in – only to sell it a short time later because you find out you have outgrown it.

As I said, that all depends on the missions you’ll actually fly – that can even mean, that a King Air might be appropriate

Last Edited by europaxs at 22 Dec 14:52
EDLE

Aviathor wrote:

Anyone who puts down 25.000 € in airplane ownership would surely be committed to flying more than 10-20 hours a year, or it would not make sense.

Well, lots og people put down way more than that in an airplane and fly less. That 25k is a rather secure investment in a GA airplane.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Hi all,
first of all thanks for the warm welcome
It’d be possible to create my own syndicate, but finding an hangar here is rather difficult (just waiting list); besides it could risk to become a second job finding partners, finding right plane, follow maintenance… For the time being I like flying, not owning, and the simplest, the best.
I’m interested to this syndicate either because seems to be the only present in the neighborhood, either because it’s the simplest way to fly good planes for acceptable rates. It’s not the +/-10€/h that makes the difference, rather than the user-friendliness of the flight itself. English is not my motherlanguage, so I hope to explain well my thought.
I’d like to concentrate on flying, and I think there’s just enough stuff to work on to become a good pilot, without the hassle to increase the workload adding the handling of a plane, either alone or in a small syndicate.

Concerning US license validation, they told me I can make it through an american certificator in their entourage. Most of them made like this.
Something similar concerning FAA IR rating: being teached by an istructor belonging to syndicate SR22, and certified by the same american guy.
At least this has been told when I went to find them.

Having the plane available, I think 100h/y could be an achievable goal: I can consecrate half a day/week for flying with short term booking according to weather, and at least 3-4 times a 2 or more days travel. My VFR goals in the first year according with my growing experience are Milan Bresso, Rome Urbe and Naples/Salerno LIRI where my family lives; heading north a visit to London.
I could prepare my homework well in advance for all the adventures, waiting for the proper weather condition, last minute organize my business and leave.
Am I too optimistic?

Antonio
LSZA - LILV, Italy

AntonioD wrote:

Am I too optimistic?

Concering 100 hours per year with half a day flying time per week available, I’d say yes – you are a too optimistic, given the massive influence of weather on VFR or light IFR travel.

I cannot comment on the viability of this SARL construct, but from what I’ve seen around my homebase, I’d be very very cautious to invest my money in anything “GA”. My recommendation: Either own it (alone or in a small group) and therefore be in control, or rent it without any financial commitments – everything in between invites negative experiences.

Last Edited by blueline at 22 Dec 16:30
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Antonio, I am very late on this thread – in Amsterdam at the moment, now flying back to GVA. I am also based in LFHN – I do not believe we have met but we appear to be part of the same Aeroclub – I have recently acquired a Comanche 260C based at LFHN too – PM me if you want to get in touch and we can have a chat.

Wim

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

AntonioD wrote:

besides it could risk to become a second job finding partners, finding right plane, follow maintenance… For the time being I like flying, not owning, and the simplest, the best.

In that case you should definitely rent, or buy into a syndicate. Get the PPL over with first, and I am sure there will still be a share available by the time you are done.

AntonioD wrote:

and at least 3-4 times a 2 or more days travel. My VFR goals in the first year according with my growing experience are Milan Bresso, Rome Urbe and Naples/Salerno LIRI where my family lives; heading north a visit to London.

Am I too optimistic?

Probably a tad. But I guess we all started out that way before we became grumpy old men (and sweet old ladies). It is optimistic to think that you will actually make it to a pre-determined destination VFR a long time in advance. If you are on a schedule you should let your destination be flexible and basically decide a few days in advance depending on the weather, especially outside May-September. It can work out, but you can be forced to wait out weather for a day or two. So you need to be flexible.

An IR increases your capabilities, but you run into other limits which require additional equipment and even more equipment… Pretty soon you will want turbo (you have that on the Diesel engines ), de-ice, oxygen, stormscope, and additional engine, weather radar, a jet engine…

And this is part of the fun about being a private “hobby” pilot. Maybe it is a good thing to take it slow. Enjoy the VFR flying for a while, long enough to build up a real desire for the IR, then slowly gain IFR experience before taking it to the next level. Maybe those going for the IR too early are missing out on some experiences…

LFPT, LFPN

There are two laws of aviation a new flyer should learn quickly:

1. flying is expensive…there are no shortcuts..renting or owning the cost is far higher than going by car or commercial seat. you are paying for convenience, not transportation.

2. flying is dangerous…crashes happen in all types of aircraft and with pilots at all levels of experience.

I would add a 3rd law (which may or may not apply to marriage as well):
3. The two happiest days in a plane-/boat-owner’s life: the day they buy and the day they sell.

Then there is also one pretty universal law in life you also need to keep in mind:

• If it flies, floats or f***s, don’t buy it; rent it!
Last Edited by Aviathor at 22 Dec 18:11
LFPT, LFPN

If it flies, floats or f***s, don’t buy it; rent it!

That’s true provided you don’t mind who else is f*****g it at the same time (well, nearly at the same time) as you are, and usually without you knowing how much they are f*****g it

The obvious issues in “normal life” are, well, obvious, and with planes you get interesting dimensions like hard landings which crack or break things, various cockpit gear shagged or broken, people screwing up avionics settings, etc.

The two happiest days in a plane-/boat-owner’s life: the day they buy and the day they sell.

There is a saying that you should choose once and choose well. I have chosen twice, first time spectacularly badly and the second time really well

As for the TB20, I have never regretted buying that. Best thing I have ever done for flying.

I think that when that saying about the two best days applies to planes, it is because the owner

• didn’t do a prebuy (for various reasons, one of which might be an excessive emotional attachment)
  • bought a can of worms
  • bit off more than they could chew in terms of complexity
  • could not afford it to start with
  • didn’t ask on EuroGA
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Flyer59 wrote:

You need minimum 10 hourse of instruction on the SR22 to fly it safely, and as a beginner I would rather do 20. Only then can you start to get experience with it. Do not underestimate the much higher speeds, the complex avionics and the necessary systems knowledge to fly it safe. But IF you want it, then join COPA and read as much about it as you can.

Why is that? Superficially, the SR22 looks like nothing more than a faster kind of EFIS-equipped C172 or PA28. Fixed gear, no prop lever. Yes, about 60% higher cruise speed, but that shouldn’t take 20 hours to get used to.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message