Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADHD query for a LAPL

ULM?

Yeah I’m finding that even though my heart and lung conditions all say I’m perfectly fine with no issues, more info is needed even though for one of the conditions the NHS said I don’t even have it anymore :(

I’ve been trying to get signed off for 3 months now, near the end stages finally. Just need these letters and an assessment hopefully…

EGKR, United Kingdom

However my AME is being super helpful and I had an eye appointment with a CAA certified optometrist and the AME gave me the tick for my eyes w/o anything further.

To be honest, I thought my eyes were gonna be the biggest medical issue, but they were sorted within a minute… doesn’t make sense. I just didn’t consider that ADHD which doesn’t impact you, would matter to the CAA. Apparently it does.

Last Edited by Toby at 06 Sep 11:12
EGKR, United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

And why would your GP, cardiologist, opthamologist know less about your health and abilities than an AME who sees you once a year or the NAA medical committee who sit once every 3 months all they know of you is a bunch of medical data and doctor’s notes.

Well, it was my AME who found a condition which left me grounded for three months and which would eventually cause permanent damage or be life-threatening if left uncorrected…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

In France, you can fly a UL without any medical at all, and regardless of any “psychiatric” history. IOW, no medical at all. You could get “I want to kill myself” tatooed on your forehead, walk around holding a bottle of Prozac, and you would still be legal. French airspace only.

In the UK, you have the PMD concession (valid only in the UK, or France if flying a homebuilt) but it has this restriction

which may or may not apply to the OP (“taking medication”).

Also, as always, check “Threads possibly related to this one” right below here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ah, I’m not on any medication for anything. Regardless I want to see how far I get with LAPL.

I thought you can’t do a PMD until you have a license?

Last Edited by Toby at 06 Sep 11:51
EGKR, United Kingdom

You can apply for an NPPL, without any medical.

To apply for the old UK National PPL, or a UK Part FCL (formerly UK-EASA) PPL, you need a medical.

UK LAPL, I have no idea but the UK LAPL is almost useless since Brussels doesn’t recognise it outside the UK

Well, it was my AME who found a condition which left me grounded for three months and which would eventually cause permanent damage or be life-threatening if left uncorrected…

I think there is a technical name for that argument but I can’t think of it right now. If you can walk into an AME’s office, you have 2 legs, and by inspection you have 2 arms. If your eyes test out ok, you have a dick and goolies (that’s checked only on initial, or when you change an AME, and on males only), and you don’t need an ECG, or do have an ECG but your heart is working well enough for you to walk, and there is nothing else visually obvious, the AME isn’t going to find anything. If you are huge, then that may be a BMI problem.

If you want to verify/monitor your health, you have to do other things. For the heart you need at least an ECG treadmill (probably £400 plus a cardio consultation, so ~£1k). You also need to change your diet, significantly relative to the GA community.

Administrator

If I’m not mistaken, NPPL you can’t fly Part-21 aircraft, LAPL you can. Albeit you can’t fly outside the UK but I don’t really want to anyway.

Luckily my mum took me for a load of NHS appointments when I was younger so I’ve got a lot of the letters confirming my conditions aren’t a problem anymore… Guess they threw away the lungs one

Last Edited by Toby at 06 Sep 12:40
EGKR, United Kingdom

See the link above, and do a search on “NPPL” etc here.

The NPPL privileges have changed many times, but you can fly a certified or uncertified G-reg on it.

And you can fly to France in a homebuilt – see link above. This is one reason RVs go for so much money: it is probably the best plane you can fly without a medical, and for years you needed a homebuilt even within the UK if flying on the PMD.

Administrator

https://www.caa.co.uk/general-aviation/pilot-licences/uk-national-licences/nppl-national-private-pilot-licence/ I think this says NPPL can’t be done with EASA aircraft? Only home built, vintage and permit to fly?

EGKR, United Kingdom

And then

“To enable you to fly EASA certified aircraft you will need to convert to a minimum of Part FCL LAPL (A). Additionally you will need to meet the medical and recency requirements for the LAPL(A).”

EGKR, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message