Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

50 Hour Check Extension?

You, as authorized by Part ML limited pilot owner maintenance, issue a CRS (certificate of release to service).

always learning
LO__, Austria

Oil does need to be changed at 50hrs or less. It starts to become pretty useless past that point.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Depends a bit on which fuel you are using.
Lycoming allows oil changes every 100 hrs if using unleaded fuel.
However, it might be wise to change it anyway at 50 hrs. But if a manufacturer of a certified engine has written something like that, it is absolutely acceptable and should not harm the engine.

ESSZ, Sweden

Lycoming allows oil changes every 100 hrs if using unleaded fuel.

Is that for all engines?

I would be concerned.

However the original Q was probably just regulatory.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

You, as authorized by Part ML limited pilot owner maintenance, issue a CRS (certificate of release to service).

Can you provide an example of what this actually looks like?

Peter wrote:

Oil does need to be changed at 50hrs or less.

Yes this makes sense. It was more about the calendar requirement, since 4 months is going to come faster than 50 hours for most private owners.

Also, I’m trying to decipher the AD/SB situation, specifically which items are required and which are recommended. For example, for my TB-10 there’s SB14 to inspect the horizontal stabiliser at 50 hours, which according to the list at socata.org has an attached EASA AD 82-94(A) (Google is failing me when I try to locate this). The list of SB’s has a class associated with values of “optional”, “imperative”, “recommended”, “facultative”, and “mandatory”. SB14 is listed as “imperative”, and I also see this wording on the bulletin itself. Again Google fails me in attempting to decipher this. Obviously I intend to have the work done, but it’s more of a question of whether the aircraft suddenly becomes unairworthy at 50.1 hours, and the difference between must-do work and should-do work.

Last Edited by dutch_flyer at 06 Jul 07:48
EHRD, Netherlands

You can always be more chicken than MIP, no problem. If the AMP states that 100 hours Oil change is ok, you can nevertheless change oil every 25 or 35 or whatever hours you like, as long as it is less than 100 hours. But if your AMP says oil change every 10 hours, then you’re doomed to follow it (or write a new AMP)

Germany

As a remark, that is why I think that MIP is a real good thing. You just get rid of getting grounded, but may carry more responsibility on deciding on how to do it.

Germany

dutch_flyer wrote:

Also, I’m trying to decipher the AD/SB situation, specifically which items are required and which are recommended. For example, for my TB-10 there’s SB14 to inspect the horizontal stabiliser at 50 hours, which according to the list at socata.org has an attached EASA AD 82-94(A) (Google is failing me when I try to locate this). The list of SB’s has a class associated with values of “optional”, “imperative”, “recommended”, “facultative”, and “mandatory”. SB14 is listed as “imperative”, and I also see this wording on the bulletin itself. Again Google fails me in attempting to decipher this. Obviously I intend to have the work done, but it’s more of a question of whether the aircraft suddenly becomes unairworthy at 50.1 hours, and the difference between must-do work and should-do work.

To sum this up:

1) Forget the Socata wording (mandatory or whatever → doesn’t matter from a regulatory pov, a SB is always voluntary).

2) Go to the EASA Safety Publication Database for ADs and filter your plane

3) Those ADs that come up are mandatory.

Disclaimer: This is what’s legal, not necessarily what’s safe.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 06 Jul 09:33
always learning
LO__, Austria

Thanks, this is what I needed. Again, my goal is not to skip maintenance, only to have a clear understanding of when the airplane is airworthy. So if I can’t get to the shop until 55 hours for the horizontal stabliser inspection I’m not grounded. That’s what I needed to know.

EHRD, Netherlands
39 Posts
Sign in to add your message