Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA deadline postponed: for "screw N reg" too?

Well, first of all EASA would have to make provisions for the derogation. Then, the single countries may (or may) not choose to apply it. AFAICS, even the former hasn’t happened yet.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Bosco, I think in practice, your country of residence is the key one for the derogation.

EGTK Oxford

OK, but lacking some provision on the European level, single countries cannot delay anything.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Of course.

EGTK Oxford

Re the question earlier on actual references, the delay to 2016 was voted on within the past week and doesn’t yet exist formally, while the 2018 bit is referenced in the post earlier in this thread and I don’t think anything is official on it either.

If the 2018 date applies to the anti N-reg attack, that is an incredible U-turn and may amount to kicking the whole thing into the long grass, as the saying goes. Same with 2019 for the IMCR which everybody is sure just kicks the killing of the IMCR into the long grass..

I am sure some FTOs are well p**ssed off…

I recall reading the derogation country list for the original postponement from 2012 to 2014 and the majority of European countries didn’t apply for that derogation. Some notes from that time on what specific countries did are here. I strongly suspect that those which did not apply simply didn’t know about it and/or didn’t understand the many hundreds of pages of EASA FCL – especially the more ambiguous parts.

When I asked some top UK CAA officials face to face about the EASA FCL “EU resident operator”, the answer was they had no idea what it means, EASA had not given them any guidance (which really surprised me – it shows the sheer in-your-face arrogance of Cologne that they can bring in a law like this whose ambiguity has been discussed all over the internet, and then do a finger-up “screw you” gesture to the national CAAs which are supposed to implement it) and they had no interest in enforcing it. The issue, if any, is like I have always said: insurance. If you have a really high value accident (6 figures plus) the insurer might want to look into this more closely – especially if he is one of the less reputable ones. Especially as it is a licensing issue i.e. one with the potential of making the flight illegal before departure, which is exactly the sort of issue which insurers don’t like (negligence and stupidity, they pay out on all day long ).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well, first of all EASA would have to make provisions for the derogation.

They (or rather the European Commission) did. The final text is not available online, but I’m told the wording passed at EASA Committee was:

“(c) paragraph 4 (of Article 12 of 1178/2011) is replaced by the following:

‘4. By way of derogation from paragraph 1, Member States may decide not to apply the provisions of this Regulation until 8 April 2016 to pilots holding a licence and associated medical certificate issued by a third country involved in the non-commercial operation of aircraft as specified in Article 4(1)(b) or (c) of Regulation (EC) No 216/2008.’"

I did have a go at persuading them to make it 2018 instead but the 2016 was linked to the progress on the BASA.

So is it certain that the UK has applied this extended derogation ?

The notifications of the derogations have to be sent in after the regulation is published in the Official Journal of the EU. The UK usually remembers to do so. Other states may be less engaged.

Only once and if all EASA member states you intend to fly in apply this extended derogation.

I would say that it depends only on the state in which the operator is resident or based. But my opinion counts for little.

Thank you Bookworm for the clarification.

So that LAA press release is partially incorrect, and I better keep revalidating my IR. Oh and doing so means I have perpetual night passenger carrying currency because the FAA PPL gives you only 90 days… great stuff

Administrator

Oh and doing so means I have perpetual night passenger carrying currency because the FAA PPL gives you only 90 days… great stuff

You still have to meet the 90 day recency requirement, it only exempts you from completing at least one at night!

Yes, true, though anybody who flies at all will be day-current.

Also the FAA night passenger currency requirement is sunset plus 1 hour for the 3 takeoffs and 3 landings, even though for night logging you can use sunset plus 30 mins.

IOW, they like you to be doing the 3 takeoffs and 3 landings when it is properly dark. Whereas the JAA night currency is sunset plus 30 mins when it isn’t usually very dark.

At least that’s my recollection from last time I looked, years ago

Administrator

I am probably going to skip the Dec 2014 and Dec 2015 IR revalidations and save myself £300 plus the flying time.

I just hope that this is correctly interpreted… otherwise it will be a huge hassle to go back to an FTO.

That UK CAA statement is valid for only 1 year… they could fail to renew it at that point.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message