Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Does an operation under total anaesthesia invalidate your medical?

This thread highlights a real problem in the European aviation medical sphere: you cannot ask an AME for an opinion without risk, because he/she is required to report any contact to their CAA. It fairly obviously could trigger an investigation.

I incidentally checked this with an AME a few days ago. However, the UK PMD concession renders that CAA requirement largely void because even if an AME knows you no longer meet Class 2 requirements you can completely openly just fly on the PMD (UK, VFR only, etc). Obviously the AMEs are pretty unhappy about this, but there is no statistical evidence of a reduction in safety.

In the US, you can simply ask. The AME has no duty to disclose any contact.

Previous thread

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Had surgery under total anaesthesia a few years back. Spoke to my AME and said not to fly afterwards for 2(?) weeks and send him a letter from my GP that all was well and he would reinstate medical.

Of course, that’s not an issue anymore due:
https://www.euroga.org/forums/hangar-talk/2476-ga-activity-and-its-decline/post/366543#366543

I fear that the above will bring huge losses of class 2 medicals to many simply due to cost and hassle.
Several AME’s I have spoken to say the change is completely unwarranted.

Last Edited by PeteD at 04 May 07:46
EGNS, Other
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message