Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Picnic destinations West side of Germany

Anybody has nice tips on any airfield on the west side of Germany that has nice walking access for a family picnic?
We are looking to do a small outing with my family (with a 5 year old) not too far from the Netherlands, Hannover would be reasonable limit.
The main reason is that it’s going to be on a public holiday (Pfingstmontag) AND Monday, and I already learned the lesson…

Thanks!!

EHLE, Netherlands

A spontaneous idea would be my former home base Meschede-Schüren (EDKM). Quite a scenic area, nearby Winterberg, which should be familiar to (almost) any Dutch person. Other ideas are: Schmallenberg (EDKR), Traben-Trarbach (EDRM), Porta Westfalica (EDVY), and last but not least, Mosenberg (EDEM) with a kind of “altiport” feeling and all-in pretty challenging!

Not far away from Winterberg, there is also a nice grass strip in Korbach (EDGK), which is runned by a Dutch. The scenery is however not so mountainous anymore, compared to Meschede or Schmallenberg.

Traben-Trarbach is located at the top of the Mosel valley. Highly recommended. Koblenz (EDRK) would be a good alternative, with hiking routes through the vineyards as well.

Last Edited by Frans at 06 May 20:20
Switzerland

EDRK is closed until May 17th because of runway WIP.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message