Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CS-STAN V.4. - installation of Alcor 46156 EGT/CHT instrumentation and probes

I have admitted before that I am not very good at looking up the CS-STAN. I will admit that again, sorry.

I want to install a legacy Alcor EGT/CHT instrument (part no 46156) and related probes.

I have looked through (searched) the CS-STAN version 4, and it would seem to me that the correct reference would be CS-SC208a INSTALLATION OF A MULTIFUNCTION DISPLAY FOR POWERPLANT INSTRUMENTS.

1. “Configuration 1: The installation or exchange of an optional a multifunction display for powerplant instruments is not required by the aircraft certification basis.”
2. “All the parts used in Configuration 1 are eligible for installation without an EASA Form 1.”

Would this be the correct details used for installation in a part-CAO aircraft?

Thanks Gentlemen.

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

I wouldn’t call it a multifunction instrument, merely a dual thermometer, so the applicable standard change would be CS-SC201b. However, Alcor 46156 has an FAA STC No. SA522SW, which has also been validated by EASA, albeit on a restricted basis.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I’d contact the company you bought it from and ask them just to be sure.

Belgium

Ultranomad wrote:

I wouldn’t call it a multifunction instrument, merely a dual thermometer, so the applicable standard change would be CS-SC201b. However, Alcor 46156 has an FAA STC No. SA522SW, which has also been validated by EASA, albeit on a restricted basis.

The “problem” with CS-201b is that it refers to “EXCHANGE of powerplant instruments”. In my case, even though my aircraft model has both CHT and EGT instrumentation/systems on the Type Certificate (as an option), I am NOT “exchanging” a current instrument/installation, I am “INSTALLING” it.
Secondly this CS-201b has NO relief for installation without EASA Form 1 (which I don´t have since I bought this instrument second hand without the paperwork)

Looking as CS-208a, which I would agree does not necessarily seem like the most obvious choice of change, but still refers to powerplant instruments, it has a description referring to the “INSTALLATION” as opposed to CS-201b (“EXCHANGE”).
Secondly the CS-208a allows for installation without EASA Form 1.

As you correctly mention the Alcor 46156 has an FAA STC and it seems a validation from EASA (that I have not found yet?, but I´ve emailed Alcor just now to find details), which I could you instead of CS-STAN. I don´t know if following this path require many more work hours and paperwork, than CS-STAN?

Eagle20 wrote:

I’d contact the company you bought it from and ask them just to be sure.

Hi, as per above, I bought the items second hand without paperwork from BAS. Pointless to pay 4 times the price for a factory new classic instrument/system for installation in a 50 year old airframe ;-)

Last Edited by Yeager at 06 May 07:08
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Yeager wrote:

As you correctly mention the Alcor 46156 has an FAA STC and it seems a validation from EASA (that I have not found yet?, but I´ve emailed Alcor just now to find details), which I could you instead of CS-STAN.

The list of validations is here, and Alcor’s FAA STC appears multiple times. Unfortunately, going this way is more time-consuming and expensive than CS-STAN.

Ultranomad wrote:

The list of validations is here, and Alcor’s FAA STC appears multiple times. Unfortunately, going this way is more time-consuming and expensive than CS-STAN.

Ah, yes, that list with the restricted validations I´ve found as well, but yes that requires EASA involvement and the hourly fees charged.
It´s a simple instrument and the probe installations ditto. Since the instrument installation (Alcor, though not specifically the 46156) was part of the original Type Certificate, I would assume that no further approval should even be required – though this would probably require EASA Form 1 (for the equipment), if this approach is followed, which is an issue since the used instrument and probes, that I have bought don´t come with a Form 1 (nor 8130-3).
This is why I will push for CS-STAN (CS-208a), but let´s see what the part-CAO says in the end…

Last Edited by Yeager at 06 May 09:08
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Maybe you could take it to a nearby avionics shop, have them take a look at it and issue you a form 1 for it? If they’re fair, they shouldn’t charge you much.

Belgium

Eagle20 wrote:

Maybe you could take it to a nearby avionics shop, have them take a look at it and issue you a form 1 for it? If they’re fair, they shouldn’t charge you much.

I suppose you´re very right about that. Having it released that way would possible pave way for an installation without much paperwork since, as mentioned, it was an optional instrument/installation on the original Type Certificate.
Would this type of instrument indeed be an Avionics shop, who´d sign off the Form 1?

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Only an EASA 145 company can generate a Form 1. There may be other ways; I heard something recently.

Yes this is possible. I was once offered such a service, when I was on G-reg, for a brand new propeller which came with an 8130-3, at a cost of about £700. Yeah; you can laugh but a 145 is expensive and they need to get the money back somehow.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Only an EASA 145 company can generate a Form 1. There may be other ways; I heard something recently.

An EASA CAO company can generate one as well. A freelancer cannot.
For a piece of instrumentation/avionics, I’d say a reasonable price for a Form 1 is something like €150.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 07 May 08:39
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message