Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft type and owner personality

Fernando wrote:

circumstances around the purchase time

Same here. I was looking for an affordable reasonably fast 2+2 or 4 seater, and ended up with an Arrow (the unpopular T-tail one). It could just as easily have been an AA5B or M20E, but these are still in the same general category. I think it’s an indirect effect: personality > mission profile > aircraft choice.

My idealised mission profile is day trips with the children, ideally in rural France. No interest in doing aerobatics, gliding, turbines, homebuilding, commercial, microlights, warbirds. This probably correlates with me being self-centred and antisocial but could also be I’ve been conditioned by the aeroclub-type flying from my PPL days.

I just had a look at Myers-Briggs, but don’t relate to any of the profiles, which look bogus anyway.

Marketing mostly applies to new products, although there must be a trickle-down effect that certain types get a certain reputation. Main example Cirrus.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

I agree mission profile is the most deciding factor for aircraft type (and opportunity / situation when purchasing is the second one). There’s (arguably) more rationality in purchasing aircrafts than cars, especially given the amounts of money involved.
Then again, the two most important personality traits are present in all mission profiles and aircraft types:

• balance authority and decisiveness with self-doubt and humility
  • the love for the competence itself (enjoy flying, but also enjoy learning and improving)

Maybe owners of doctor-killers or of Cirri care a little less for the competence (just want to get places) and have too little self-doubt (success in life etc.), but I would be surprised if it’s actually measurable.

Last Edited by maxbc at 25 Apr 16:05
France

Didn’t take long 🤪

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

Capitaine wrote:

I just had a look at Myers-Briggs, but don’t relate to any of the profiles, which look bogus anyway.

Myers-Briggs is totally bogus. No evidence whatsoever and based on Jung’s theories which themselves are dubious (to put it kindly). Two particular problems with MBTI are that 1) Each of the dimensions are binary and not a scale which is obviously not a reasonable way of describing personalities and 2) the same person can get substantially different results on retaking a Myers-Briggs test.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aviators

Not on the list? Then you’re just a pilot, like me 😌

always learning
LO__, Austria

Even if it were true that there would be a correlation between personality types and aircraft types, the non-availability of money clouds the issue.

Last Edited by aart at 26 Apr 06:11
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Yup, a light aircraft can be anywhere between 20k and 7M…

Antonio
LESB, Spain

maxbc wrote:

Maybe owners of doctor-killers or of Cirri care a little less for the competence (just want to get places) and have too little self-doubt (success in life etc.), but I would be surprised if it’s actually measurable.

I must be suffering from a personality disorder….

EBST

While I like to think my old 90 HP no gyros, no electric, Super Cub suited my personality (grew up in the boonies in a one horse town), the Piper tailed Bonanza is quite benign, but is a by the numbers airplane. The Super Cub wasn’t too far from a one number suits all, although arguably two numbers, 55-60 mph IAS, and 80 mph IAS :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

The Super Cub wasn’t too far from a one number suits all, although

When I change personality and fly my motorglider, I use the same numbers as my Bonanza only in km/hr. ..the landing is much more challenging in the Xi though……fuel burn is the same gallons versus liters…;-) funny in a way

EBST
Sign in to add your message