Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Does FAA ATP include SEP privileges, and EASA SEP to FAA SEP

I would say nobody considers EASA-land to be a country.

Well sure but probably 1000000000 European pilots with EASA papers have been going around believing that they can fly an N-reg via 61.3, all over EASA-land I even met one bizjet guy whose employer got a lawyer’s opinion in the affirmative… I guess they must have used a really cheap lawyer; definitely under €1000/hr.

So you can’t own and fly N-reg / FAA in EASA if you’re a resident ? Isn’t that against ICAO ?

Please search EuroGA

If we understand the OP correctly, this is about FAR 61.3 which uses the word “issued”.

To fly an N-reg internationally you need an FAA license and (if IFR) an FAA instrument rating. Any non-FAA papers you have are valid only in the country of issue.

However, there is an obvious topographical exception to the above which still meets 61.3. If you hold papers issued by e.g. these 3 countries, you can fly between them, using 61.3

And, post brexit, you could fly UK to France if you held licenses from the UK, and from France (EASA but French issued) concurrently, which is now possible.

But as I said this debate might be about something completely different… What worries me is the use of “EASA” which suggests the common misunderstanding in my 1st para above. When we find out the exact issue, I will rename the thread, though I suspect we have many similar ones.

So you can’t own and fly N-reg / FAA in EASA if you’re a resident ? Isn’t that against ICAO ?

You can but Brussels ruled that if the “operator” is in the EU, the pilots must have EU papers. This is regardless of reg. That is why I wasted thousands on this. Brussels is the “European government” and can do what it likes. It could mandate you have to wear pink underpants in EU airspace… hmmm, maybe one should not give them ideas!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So you can’t own and fly N-reg / FAA in EASA if you’re a resident ?

You can but you need both EASA and FAA papers corresponding to whatever you’re trying to do, except in the country that issued your EASA license.

Isn’t that against ICAO ?

Who knows, but for sure I’m not going to personally take up the challenge. Much easier (though not EASY) just to get the necessary EASA papers.

LFMD, France

Peter wrote:

If we understand the OP correctly, this is about FAR 61.3 which uses the word “issued”.

To fly an N-reg internationally you need an FAA license and (if IFR) an FAA instrument rating. Any non-FAA papers you have are valid only in the country of issue.

(Attached PDF) Is the valid FAA ATP license that I have.
I also have a valid FAA medical.
I have a valid EASA part-FCL ATPL, with valid SEP and valid IR/SEP.
I have a valid EASA part-FCL medical.

From an FAA license perspective.
CAN I legally fly an FAA (N-reg) SEP with IR privileges, anywhere in Europe or the world for that matter (including US of A).
From my understanding, only PPL privileges can be exercised, on the FAA license, for ratings not endorsed on the FAA license (in my case SEP and IR, which are valid and endorsed on my EASA part-FCL).
That was my question, or intended question. Thx.

faa_atp_redacted_pdf

Last Edited by Yeager at 17 May 11:20
Socata Rallye MS.893E
Portugal

I think you can.

You hold an FAA ATP which covers you worldwide.

You hold an EASA ATPL which meets the Brussels “resident operator” directive.

But now I see what this is probably about: does an FAA ATP contain SEP privileges? I think it does. I found this but don’t have to study it…

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Yes you can.

You hold an FAA ATP which covers you worldwide.

You hold an EASA ATPL which meets the Brussels “resident operator” directive.

Would this be justified by what is commonly referred to as “piggy bag” on the EASA ratings?

Socata Rallye MS.893E
Portugal

If you hold papers issued by e.g. these 3 countries, you can fly between them, using 61.3

Off topic, but I’m intrigued. Presupposing you can get a Zimbabwe pilot license (good luck), under what regulation does that permit you to fly an N-reg in Botswana or Namibia? I just re-read 61.3, and there’s no mention anywhere of them (not that I thought there would be), only:

(vii) When operating an aircraft within a foreign country, a pilot license issued by that country may be used.

LFMD, France

Peter wrote:

But now I see what this is probably about: does an FAA ATP contain SEP privileges? I think it does. I found this but don’t have to study it…

THIS is the Annex 3 I was reading this morning, and what let me to believe that the rating(s) (in my case SEP and IR) does not have to be endorsed in the FAA ticket, if I already have a valid rating in my EASA part-FCL, though limited to PPL privileges only. That´s the question.

Last Edited by Yeager at 17 May 11:26
Socata Rallye MS.893E
Portugal

You can’t (generally) hold a standalone US license and a 61.75 piggyback concurrently.

but I’m intrigued

I wrote

If you hold papers issued by e.g. these 3 countries

I should have said

If you hold papers issued by e.g. ALL these 3 countries

in my case SEP and IR) does not have to be endorsed in the FAA ticket

The Q is really whether an FAA ATP (which except rare cases is a ME license) contains the SEP. I dug around and could not find anything clear. Didn’t you start with a standalone FAA PPL/SEP?

The EASA aspect is irrelevant because of the “issued” limitation rendering it almost useless.

Administrator

johnh wrote:

Off topic, but I’m intrigued. Presupposing you can get a Zimbabwe pilot license (good luck), under what regulation does that permit you to fly an N-reg in Botswana or Namibia? I just re-read 61.3, and there’s no mention anywhere of them (not that I thought there would be), only:

(vii) When operating an aircraft within a foreign country, a pilot license issued by that country may be used.

I think there has to be a mutual agreement between the jurisdictions to allow for the privilege to exercise the right. Eg. there is the Annex 3 (that Peter linked above!) agreement between EASA and FAA.

Socata Rallye MS.893E
Portugal

does an FAA ATP contain SEP privileges?

I don’t think this has anything to do with bilateral anything, it’s just to do with what’s legal as per the FAA. I honestly have no idea – there is something called an ATP-ASEL, which is pretty useless. Does a “normal” ATP (ATP-AMEL) also give you ASEL (SEP) privileges? My impression is that an FAA ATP is still class-specific, so an ATP-AMEL doesn’t cover you for any other kind of AxEy. But maybe there’s a special case for this.

My former acro instructor has an ATP-AMES. I tell him it’ll come in handy when Pan Am reintroduce their Clippers.

LFMD, France
Sign in to add your message