Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft type and owner personality

After 5 years glidibg, I got my UK PPL age 23 in 1964, on a Jackeroo, modified Tiger Moth biplane taildragger with no brakes or electrics. Reason – cost. £137.5 including board for the course.
I converted to a Chipmunk tailwheel. Then to C150.
After a 21 year gap, and revalidating my licence on a C152, in 1990 I bought a share in a Jodel DR1050. Reason – cheap flying.
Since 2018 I fly a Bolkow 208C Junior, now owned by me alone.. Reason – cost.
The personality indication is I’m mean.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

@Maoraigh No you are not mean despite the stereotypical view of the Scots.
Why should you spend more than you want as long as you can still get the same amount of enjoyment from your hobby.
As someone surrounded by Jodel DR1050 and other Jodels which IMO are great value for money, can I ask why you prefer the Bolkow?🙂

France

Peter wrote:

I would put money on the personality profile

According to you, what kind of personality profiles are there in relation to GA?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Darkfixer wrote:

different kind of aircraft’s because they look ugly

What always struck me is that good aerodynamics mostly looks aesthetical, at least to my eyes. That doesn’t extend to supersonic aircraft, but those parts of planes that fly in the normal airflow just look way better when they have an outstanding low aerodynamic drag. E.g. the perfectly rounded edges on a Spitfire (a German design invention from the Heinkel He 70, by the way ) are very well shaped, but a nightmare to build. Typical modern gliders also comprise extremely good drag values. There seems to be something in the human brain that likes aerodynamic shapes.

But there seems to be some form of limit. The modern very thin tail segment is disliked by many. Modern gliders have that, and Diamonds and some other modern designs, too. When the DA42 twin was new I knew few people who liked the looks of it, the very thin tail segment and the thin wings with the fat engines just didn’t look right in comparison to other available types. It seems illogical to the brain that this could be constructed in a safe way, and this gets identified in that the looks are rejected. But obviously it can. Maybe today one has gotten a bit more used to it. Is this some form of common sense that materializes in whether some plane “looks good”?

Last Edited by UdoR at 28 Apr 07:37
Germany

“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”
But I would take issue with you about the Spitfire’s rounded ends. That design goes back much further than aviation as can be seen if you have ever seen the wings of a bird called a “Hobby” (small falcon) in the UK.

France

UdoR wrote:

That doesn’t extend to supersonic aircraft

What? Saab Draken, Mirage III, Starfighter, F-16, MiG-29 etc. Especially Draken, Mirage III and the Starfighter. They were all designed specifically for supersonic flight, among the first, if not the firsts to go MACH 2. They are all among the best looking aircraft of all time. Not to mention the Concorde.

For GA, aesthetics is a large factor in the design. That and practicalities. Aerodynamics, other than the most basics, is more of an afterthought in general.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

At the risk of being once more called sexiest by my wife (don’t think she’s spying on me thru this distinguished forum…), some of those SEP are just plain attractive, whilst others are just disgusting, or offending, to my eyes and little brain.
Sure don’t wanna get lynched this early (🤣…🙈) in life, so no example of the latter.

Most of the spam cams are… characterless, neutral, or plain ugly. Talking about say a classic design such as a C-150 or 172, one would hardly call this a beauty or sexy design. The same being valid for Indian tribes and most of the others.
Where it is getting more varied and therefore interesting is in the homebuilt or experimental category. Not only performance wise, where one can encounter the ugliest chainsaw powered 30kts cruise UL or the slickest all weather capable ocean crossing cruiser, but again, in the differing looks. Some look like the carton box you new shoes came in, whilst other exhibit sleek lines reminiscent of some of the sea or air natural inhabitants.

Perception of beauty is for sure individual, and probably dependant on education (an artist painter will have a different view on a design than say bricklayer) as well as private interests (soccer vs classical music?).

EuroGA hosts mostly men (is that true @Peter?) so I’ll venture in that I think that pilots appreciate an aircraft in a similar way they do for the opposite sex, by using a certain set of fixed parameters for a first visual assessment.
Staying on subject (😉), seeing an aircraft in flight or on the ramp for the first time, the general shape as in thin or fat, squarish and raked or rounded, hi or lo wing, monoplane or multiplane, retracts or not, general proportions, etc, will be assessed. Moving closer to, or the other way round, the object, more details such as wing thickness, fairings, etc, will become apparent. The dessert for any pilot will of course be served by that stare in the cockpit, the fascination exerted by the dials, glass, knobs, switches, sticks, yokes, and more.

Last but not least, the sound. Noise or music. For most of us the barking Merlin is for sure more fascinating than the nerving whine of electric motors.

So yes, there might be a link between aircraft type and owner personality. Sometimes. More often than not the aircraft owned or rented is a reflections of one’s needs or mission. Budget constraints sure also play an important role for most of us.

Yet another point is personal satisfaction. Whilst I’m quite happy to own and fly a super versatile steed, it still doesn’t cover all the needs, or desires, I could have. But I’m more than happy with that situation, though it’s all compromise.
OTOH I know more than one pilot owning more than 1 airplane. I have a few friends owning 2 airplanes, but also a couple of them owning 4 airplanes…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Fully agree with @Udo_r that great looking planes fly well too ;)

But there seems to be some form of limit. The modern very thin tail segment is disliked by many. Modern gliders have that, and Diamonds and some other modern designs, too.

Someone at Diamond told me the thin tail is actually a disadvantage aerodynamically, but overall there were other compromises so it stays.

always learning
LO__, Austria

“As someone surrounded by Jodel DR1050 and other Jodels which IMO are great value for money, can I ask why you prefer the Bolkow?”
I don’t. The Jodel Group had to sell due to too many members health (age). A Bolkow Group was forming, so I joined it. £15,000, needing 8.33, ModeS, and a repaint. £30,000+ when all done.
I had to buy others out. I did almost all the flying.
But the Bolkow cockpit is warm. That’s the only thing I prefer.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

EuroGA hosts mostly men (is that true @Peter?) so I’ll venture in that I think that pilots appreciate an aircraft in a similar way they do for the opposite sex, by using a certain set of fixed parameters for a first visual assessment.

I might be justifiably accused of that with Italian motorcycles, but not with planes. Seeing some types of plane warms my heart due to memories or reputation, and as mentioned I do like planes that are intuitive and light to operate, but visual attraction is not what they’re about for me. There are some that are notably ugly to me but few of the opposite. The form of a plane is driven by function and I admire them for that, but with very few exceptions I don’t find them beautiful. I like their familiar feel and smell, the way they are made and their under-stressed and well engineered reliability. The SF260 is close but its lines are still predictable, not novel or exciting. The closest to beautiful for me might be my polished ex-Luscombe which was a cute little rascal. Tadpole planes that look like marine life don’t visually appeal. YMMV.

The dessert for any pilot will of course be served by that stare in the cockpit, the fascination exerted by the dials, glass, knobs, switches, sticks, yokes, and more.

That does work for me, with the exception of ‘glass’

For most of us the barking Merlin is for sure more fascinating than the nerving whine of electric motors

My local friend took off in his P-51 today while I was at the airport and the unwavering roar was more like painful noise to me than pleasant sound. Big aircraft engines do not sound like 1960s GP engines, they drone along making their power like an industrial engine. Meanwhile, an electric motor or Rotax 912 sounds like a home appliance. My favorite was the A-65 at 2150 RPM but my O-320 is fine too, unassuming and capable, and I’d rather be flying behind one in an RV than flying in the Mustang. Or maybe a Franklin, smooth as can be. It’s calm and timeless, just a more satisfying thing to me in a plane

Last Edited by Silvaire at 29 Apr 00:08
Sign in to add your message