Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mooney TLS Bravo

So what is a non smooth landing?
How hard is too hard?

ESMS, ESML, Sweden

Perhaps 1.5 G plus if you have an accelerometer? In the Navy test trials the T-34 was dead dropped from over ten feet, it blew the tyres but otherwise no airframe or landing gear damage.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Outta Navy but in the civilian and civilized Airbus world:
A hard landing is defined as a landing with a vertical acceleration of more than 2.6 g at the center of gravity or a v/s of more than 600 ft/min.

An overweight landing is defined as a landing at more than the maximum landing weight with a vertical acceleration of more then 1.7 g at center of gravity or a v/s of more then 360 ft/min.

On the A-320 one can print a load report #15, just outta interest. An auto-print of the same would mean trouble, such as tea but no biscuits with the base or chief pilot šŸ™ˆ

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I went through the POH but I couldnā€™t find a definition unfortunately. I also donā€™t know what is meant by a smooth landing. I suspect itā€™s up to the pilot to judge and be honest with himself how soft was the touchdown.

ELLX, Luxembourg

hazek wrote:

this is my main mission:

Those are quite impressive numbers, not only in speed but mainly on fuel consumption. Are those POH figures achievable in real life?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

BTW, speaking of Mooneys, does omeone know how many M20x were ever made? There are confusing online numbers that mention 11000 total Mooneys and other 11000 total M20xā€¦which one is correct? Perhaps @Mooney_Driver would know?

[ edited to send a notification to the correct person because the one without the gap in the name has not been here for 7 years ]

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Other than a few Mooney M-18 Mites and M-10 Cadets, arenā€™t they all M20s? Those in combination are less than 350 planes.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Apr 21:36

Antonio wrote:

Are those POH figures achievable in real life?

Havenā€™t been able to test them yet but anyway some of those power settings are inadvisable due to too much wear on the engine, TC and exhaust. Also fuel efficiency at some of higher power settings that are advisable is much worse than what that image says simply because you canā€™t run those settings at peak TIT. You have to go way richer to keep the temps reasonable.

Perhaps 27"/2200RPM numbers might be doable (65% power). Iā€™ll see when I start flying in a couple of weeks.

ELLX, Luxembourg

27"/2200RPM

AFAIK max allowable Lyco oversquare on normally aspirated is 4", as in 26/2200 or 27/2300ā€¦

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

There are operating diagrams such as this but no concept of ā€œover squareā€.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message