Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fire Extinguisher requirements (EASA)

Halon extinguishers also are the most effective per weight unit, making it even more desirable in aircraft use.
Yes, the effect on the ozone layer is comparatively huge – but if you don’t use it and dispose of the old extinguisher correctly, it’s zero (assuming the company recycling the stuff manages that cleanly)

And if you have to use it, it’s highly likely a life or death situation where the best possible extinguisher is warranted. The lack of damage due to the clean extinguishing agent is just a bonus.

Berlin, Germany

Sebastian_G wrote:

Is that really the case? Does it expire on calendar time? Ours has got a pressure gauge and as long as that is in the green, it seem to be accepted at the annual inspection.

Has anyone further insight on that? Mine also has a pressure gauge and that is “fully in the greens”. But it also has a sticker on it with an examination date on it that expires after 10 years. If I had an argument at hand then my examiner could potentially just accept the visual check of the extinguisher. So in the end I just could remove the sticker – if this was acceptable. I’m still in the period, so no immediate action required. It’s more that I try to get rid of most lifetime limited items possible on board.

Else: is it feasible to have it re-checked? Does anyone know a price tag for this and where to have it done?

Germany

When we formed a Syndicate and bought a Bolkow Junior, with a cockpit hood which opened upwards from the front, I was horrified to find a powder extinguisher had been bought. If it was accidentally triggered I would suffocate. It just added an extra risk.
I was happy to have one in a Jodel where I could open the door(s) and sideslip.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

In one of my last annuals, I was told that the extinguisher was now more than 12 months over and that, green or nor green, it could no longer be accepted.
Apparently, it is just calendar time.
For ELA2 aircraft it is still an obligation, hence….

Last Edited by ch.ess at 08 May 21:43
EDM_, Germany

Soooo glad to be N-reg.

This is crazy.

Even at work where by law we must have serviceable extinguishers (we have several different types) the man weighs them and if within limits they carry on. After 5 or 10 years they are mandatory scrap regardless of condition, but they cost about £50 so this is not painful. Actually they are good for at least 10, and these are dirt cheap ones, not the aviation ones like mine which shows zero loss after 22 years.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Yeager, I bought my Halon firex from air store, but looking outta stock right now…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

@Yeager, I bought my Halon firex from air store, but looking outta stock right now…

@Dan great, looks small and light enough, and reasonably priced, I guess. Will watch for stock.
Thank you man! 👨

@Peter your bird is ELA1 I would think, hence no mandatory requirements for fire extinguishers in your case, so N-reg or EASA-reg shouldn’t change much in this case.

Last Edited by Yeager at 09 May 08:02
Socata Rallye MS.893E
Portugal

ch.ess wrote:

In one of my last annuals, I was told that the extinguisher was now more than 12 months over and that, green or nor green, it could no longer be accepted.
Apparently, it is just calendar time.
For ELA2 aircraft it is still an obligation, hence….

Does not sound like a trustworthy shop … which one came to that conclusion? AFAIK there is no regulation on expiration of a fire extinguisher for GA, it just has to be one on board without any further requirement. If this had changed, please post a quotable reference.

Germany

A TB20 is firmly ELA2, unfortunately.
Hence the requirement of a fire extinguisher…

As to the question of validity – Miachael you will have to look it up yourself. It was actually no just one shop, but 2 and they are both fairly pragmatic in other aspects.
Both pointed to general fire extinguisher regulation, requiring observation of the manufacturer’s overhaul cycles.

Last Edited by ch.ess at 09 May 08:45
EDM_, Germany

I bought this one, and they still have stock.

EHRD, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message