Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Does FAA ATP include SEP privileges, and EASA SEP to FAA SEP

Yeah but what you can’t do, when holding standalone FAA papers, get a 61.75 so you can fly the N-reg without needing an FAA medical

FAA medicals can be a real PITA in Europe as FAA AMEs are looking just for easy customers, so this would be a desirable route for many, especially if needing FAA Special Issuance.

As usual, the devil is in the detail.

And while nowadays most European N-regs are flown on a 61.75 (especially, I am told, in Germany) if you go back 15+ years most N-regs were flown by standalone FAA holders.

Anyway, off topic.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Anyway, off topic.

yeah that is off topic ;-)

Socata Rallye MS.893E
Portugal

If one is using an FAA ATP certificate, it will include the ratings it applies to on the back of the certificate. Airplane Single Engine Land is a separate rating from Airplane Multi Engine Land. Many military pilots don’t have any single engine ratings, either at the private pilot or commercial pilot level when they obtain an ATP, so would not be authorized to fly a single engine N registry aircraft without adding an additional rating. If someone comes up via the GA route, they will usually have either a private or commercial single engine land rating. So they may end up with an ATP Certificate, Multi Engine Land with a restriction of Single Engine Land – Commercial or Private privileges only, because they normally let the airline pay for their ATP.

So bottom line, ATP Single Engine Land is a separate rating from ATP Multiengine Land.

KUZA, United States

Yeager wrote:

Those of you who holding both EASA and FAA valid licenses, and are exercising IR/SEP privileges on your SEP N-reg airplanes (FAA license based on EASA part-FCL. PPL privileges only), based on your valid EASA IR/SEP, do you in fact have the IR and the SEP endorsed on your FAA license or only on your EASA part-FCL?

If you have a 61.75 pilot certificate, and an IR on your associated non US License, you can add the IFR by taking the IR Knowledge exam.

KUZA, United States

Sorry, just saw NCYankee’s answer which explains it better than I.

I agree with @Peter that the answer to the specific question is no. I have a colleague EASA instructor with EASA SEP, MEP, & IR. He also has an FAA ATPL MEL with Gulfstream rating that he uses to fly Gulfsteams professionally. He can be PIC on my C172 here in Switzerland on his EASA licence, but not outside Switzerland because he lacks the SEL on his FAA ATPL.

@Peter, I thought there was a process for obtaining a full FAA PPL (not 61.75) for an EASA PPL holder, but perhaps not. There is a process for Canadian PPL holders that only requires to sit a special FAA theory (mostly regs) test. I’m quite sure a similar process exists for Aussies too. Don’t know about UK PPL holders.

Last Edited by chflyer at 18 May 12:28
LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

I agree with @Peter that the answer to the specific question is no. I have a colleague EASA instructor with EASA SEP, MEP, & IR. He also has an FAA ATPL ME with Gulfstream rating that he uses to fly Gulfsteams professionally. He can be PIC on my C172 here in Switzerland on his EASA licence, but not outside Switzerland because he lacks the SEP on his FAA ATPL.

Ok, well that´s similar to my license situation.
So, I am assuming your C172 is on N-reg., correct?

Socata Rallye MS.893E
Portugal

@yeager didn’t read all replies of the thread but your FAA ATP is AMEL (so not ASEL!) so easiest to fly N-reg SEP/IR is either sit the ATP ATS theory/practical exams or get a 61.75 based on your EASA license (if valid SEP + SE IR rating) and sit the foreign based FAA IR theory exam.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 18 May 13:59
always learning
LO__, Austria

Yeager wrote:

So, I am assuming your C172 is on N-reg., correct?

Correct. From what I’ve been able to determine, he just needs to get an SEL added to his ATPL which means a check flight with a DPE. That might (or might not) get the restriction mentioned to PPL IR only and not a full ATPL but that’s enough for just acting as PIC on an N-reg in Europe. I would expect that should be easier for you than someone here in Europe who needs to go to the US to get it. The hardest part is likely getting the DPE scheduled as I have heard they can be in short supply and high demand, depending upon location.

LSZK, Switzerland

@Snoopy

The 61.75 requires that the applicant:
“Does not hold a U.S. pilot certificate other than a U.S. student pilot certificate;”
Since I already hold the FAA ATP, this seems to not be a plausible choice.
Secondly, isn’t this this the type of certificate that limits flying N-reg to the member-state (issuing the EASA part-FCL) only?

@chflyer
“Correct. From what I’ve been able to determine, he just needs to get an SEL added to his ATPL which means a check flight with a DPE”

Well noted, thanks for your input on this. Could well be!

Last Edited by Yeager at 18 May 14:09
Socata Rallye MS.893E
Portugal

@Yeager Convert the EASA SEP class rating to an FAA ASEL rating using the US-EU or US-CH BASA as applicable.

AC 61-143 (EU-US)
10.2.1.2 An applicant who already holds an FAA pilot certificate (other than one issued on the basis of a foreign pilot license) may utilize this process for the conversion of a rating on an EU Part-FCL pilot license. The applicant must apply with the FAA as described in § 61.13(a)

AC 61-144 (CH-US)
10.3.1.3 An applicant who already holds an FAA-issued pilot certificate (other than one issued on the basis of a foreign license (§ 61.75)) and seeks conversion of an additional rating on a CH Part-FCL pilot license, may use the process described in this AC. The applicant must apply with the FAA as described and in accordance with § 61.13(a).

Last Edited by Qalupalik at 18 May 14:31
London, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message