Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Does FAA ATP include SEP privileges, and EASA SEP to FAA SEP

I think there has to be a mutual agreement between the jurisdictions to allow for the privilege to exercise the right. Eg. there is the Annex 3 (that Peter linked above!) agreement between EASA and FAA.

No; in my daft example you hold ALL 3 licenses

Does a “normal” ATP (ATP-AMEL) also give you ASEL (SEP) privileges? My impression is that an FAA ATP is still class-specific, so an ATP-AMEL doesn’t cover you for any other kind of AxEy. But maybe there’s a special case for this.

That is the Q here…

Putting it another way, almost nobody does an ab initio PPL in an MEP, so Yaeger started with an FAA PPL/SEP. And would doing an FAA ATP/ME later cancel out the PPL/SEP? I doubt it.

Yaeger’s EASA SEP privileges are valid for an N-reg but only in the country of issue, which is probably Portugal, so basically useless. This is a bit like my UK IR giving me permanent night passenger carriage privileges regardless of night currency (bizzarrely, all Euro IRs do that, but the FAA IR does not) but for an N-reg this is valid only in UK airspace.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Putting it another way, almost nobody does an ab initio PPL in an MEP, so Yaeger started with an FAA PPL/SEP. And would doing an FAA ATP/ME later cancel out the PPL/SEP? I doubt it.

Sorry, I can understand that you´re let to believe so. But, if it matters, I did my EASA—> ATPL and made an FAA full license conversion in 2013, but did not have a current/valid EASA SEP at the time of the EASA→FAA conversion (not sure if it would have been included onto the FAA ATP, as part of the FAA license issuing, since the FAA ATP skill test was performed in a multi crew CJ3 (FAA CE-525)… Anyways, that´s a different point.

Peter wrote:

Yaeger’s EASA SEP privileges are valid for an N-reg but only in the country of issue, which is probably Portugal, so basically useless.

Again, can´t blame you for assuming it, but it DK, not PT (doesn´t matter for the discussion anyways).
I don´t think you´re right about the geographical limitation, when I hold the actual FAA license, unless you refer to the fact that the SEP is not actually endorsed on the FAA ticket..

Last Edited by Yeager at 17 May 11:40
Socata Rallye MS.893E
Portugal

made an FAA full license conversion in 2013, but did not have a current/valid EASA SEP at the time of the EASA→FAA conversion

Only god could unravel that one

I don´t think you´re right about the geographical limitation, when I hold the actual FAA license, unless you refer to the fact that the SEP is not actually endorsed on the FAA ticket..

I think you need to find out whether an FAA ATP unconditionally includes SEP privileges.

I am fairly sure a European ATP does not, because I know an ex UK ATP who had to do skills tests (checkrides) for the PPL and for the IR.

Administrator

This is all getting very complicated. It comes back to my original question: can you legally fly an SEP under IFR in the US (N-reg of course)? If so, you’re good to go anywhere else in the world as well (from the FAA pov, the EASA resident thing is a different problem). If not, then you can’t fly one anywhere else either (except in your EASA country of issue).

LFMD, France

Peter wrote:

I think you need to find out whether an FAA ATP unconditionally includes SEP privileges.

I am fairly sure a European ATP does not, because I know an ex UK ATP who had to do skills tests (checkrides) for the PPL and for the IR.

I don´t think the FAA ATP unconditionally includes SEP privileges.
I think I can “piggyback” my valid EASA ratings (eg. SEP, IR) on the FAA ATP (or ANY FAA license), but only exercise PPL privileges (on the FAA ticket!). This is what I am trying to get confirmation on. I read the Annex 3, that you linked further up, and this is my reference to my understanding, but I am not sure.

The EASA part-FCL you are required to have a valid SEP (2 year validity) to exercise the SEP privilege, no doubt.

Last Edited by Yeager at 17 May 11:54
Socata Rallye MS.893E
Portugal

Yeager wrote:

I think I can “piggyback” my valid EASA ratings (eg. SEP, IR) on the FAA ATP (or ANY FAA license), but only exercise PPL privileges (on the FAA ticket!)

The EU–US (or Switzerland–US) BASA should allow you to convert (not “piggyback” whatever that means) your EU SEP land class rating to an FAA ASEL, limited to the private pilot certificate grade, even though you already hold a US ATP certificate.

Peter wrote:

You can’t (generally) hold a standalone US license and a 61.75 piggyback concurrently.

FAA Order 8900.1 (FSIMS) vol 5 ch 2 sec 14.
5-596 U.S. PILOT CERTIFICATES THAT MAY BE ISSUED TO A PERSON WHO HOLDS A FOREIGN PILOT LICENSE.
C. Standard U.S. Pilot Certificate.

3) The holder of a foreign pilot license (at least equivalent to or higher than the U.S. private pilot certification level) may hold both a § 61.75 U.S. pilot certificate and a standard U.S. pilot certificate at the same time, provided the § 61.75 U.S. pilot certificate was obtained before the pilot satisfied the part 61 pilot certification requirements

London, United Kingdom

I remember that concurrency debate from years ago. You are (of course) right (if done in the right order)

I’ve renamed the thread, hopefully correctly.

Administrator

FAA ATP comes in either multi engine or single engine form, you obviously can hold both. It is on the licence.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

The SE FAA ATP is nowadays very rare – here

Administrator

You can’t (generally) hold a standalone US license and a 61.75 piggyback concurrently

As said, you absolutely can. I do, too.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message