Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

YLL on Tour...

Airborne_Again wrote:

Do you know what the rationale for that decision is?

Just trying to have a different standard than US? one argument is that they don’t have a granular grid of ground receivers for ADSB in their remote areas, so they went for satellites as means of ADSB reception (maybe antenna manufacturer is very good friend of ToC), no radars and no antennas no traffic but they still want to mandate something different

Just like the push to mandate FLARM, PAW, SE2…even when they do not make sense and not being able to have inter-operability (e.g. non-certified), as someone in RAF, Federation…you name it is a good friend of someone in Transport, NAA, ANSP…you name it

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Sep 09:07
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Hi Dan,

I’ve not read all your report yet. I’m only on day 21. You’re writing faster than I can read!

But I just wanted to jump in at this point and say thanks so much for posting it! I’m super jealous of the cold wilderness fun you had over the North Atlantic. And your time in rural Canada and (so far) in rural USA looks amazing.

Thanks for posting.

There is no need for anyone else to ever post a trip report. There never will be another one like yours The trip report to top all others!
My own are put to shame now

Thank you for taking me along with you.
Colm

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I’m curious about the NAT crossing details. Do you have any tips for flight prep for ATC coordination and checkpoints?

Basically, if, like I was for the whole Tour, you are on a VFR flight plan, and in VFR airspace, nobody really cares about you
Still, as in the planning of any flight, the drawing of the route should comprise boundary crossing points, IFR intersections usually. SkyDemon makes this easy. I also had the North Atlantic Plotting paper (yep, the real stuff!) charts, which I barely used.

Now the rest depends as to how much you think that having multiple reporting points, and reporting them over the radio, will help. Again, SD helps in that by pushing on the line of the route, for instance at the intersection with a line of longitude as say for every 5°, you can mark the position. Which in turn will be automatically incorporated into your ATC flight plan.

ATC coordination happens automatically, as you are handed to the next one, or given a few possible ones to contact when in reach with the “other side”.

Again, I would like to keep this as trip report, and not a “how to do it yourself” guide. There are plenty of resources on the net, and all the people having done the NAT crossing I have been talking to, have done it differently, according to their needs, or even style

Last Edited by Dan at 12 Sep 14:02
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

dublinpilot wrote:

Thank you for taking me along with you.

My pleasure Colm

I’m still working on the “coffee table” book version, and that is also taking some time… but will be superior, well at least the text will be, than what you find in the previous pages…

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

well at least the text will be

That sound exciting. I found the existing text already excellent.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

I found the existing text already excellent.

The new one will just be slightly enhanced, and proof read. And is being englishised

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Loved this trip report. I want to build an RV and fly to the US now.

ESSZ, Sweden

Super cool trip report, Dan! Cannot wait for the coffee table book version and subtly putting it on our… coffee table. I mean what better way to convince my wife of flying more with me ;)

Switzerland

Fly310 wrote:

Loved this trip report. I want to build an RV and fly to the US now.

There are lots of RV builders and pilots in Sweden and the rest of Europe. I think Van’s copied a popular Swedish furniture company when they created their latest kits – they are very easy to build, and the results are excellent.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

The new one will just be slightly enhanced, and proof read.

Let me know if you need any assistance. I have quite a bit of writing/editing experience.

EHRD, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message