Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Would you take a trip to Mars if you could?

I’d do a Mars trip. But it would have to be a return trip, with a high probability of success (say 90%+).

The idea of a Mars One trip- a one way trip to colonsise Mars, wouldn’t be for me.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Peter wrote:

With just 1% of the air density, the TAS gain on Mars is spectacular. I don’t know how to convert it but an IAS of 100kt is something like 1000kt TAS. That also means you would be landing really fast. I don’t think conventional aviation would thus be possible.

If you want to try that: X-Plane ( http://www.x-plane.com/ ) comes with a martian atmospheric and gravity model. You can try out all your favorite aircraft there and also some special “Marsplanes”. I haven’t played with that program since years but I remember that I found it near impossible to make a decent landing in that atmosphere, even with the dedicated Marsplane.

EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

This is the most desolate piece of rock in the whole solar system

I think Pluto wins on that count (well, at the moment).

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

I think Pluto wins on that count (well, at the moment).

At least it has a lot more water than Mars. (Present estimate is that 30 percent of Pluto’s mass is water).

EDDS - Stuttgart

It looks as if a small European guy (called “Schiaparelli”) has successfully landed on Mars a couple of minutes ago. Congratulations to ESA and all other involved agencies!

However, if I were Mr. Schiaparelli I would rather feel like Sharon Stone in this movie clip

(It’s a bit hard to understand, she shouts: “That’s for making me come to Mars – you know how much I hate this f***ing planet!”)

Last Edited by what_next at 19 Oct 17:00
EDDS - Stuttgart
Well, would you?

Not in a G/A plane, and I think we all agree so far. Making the question off-topic, to say the least.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Making the question off-topic, to say the least.

Is that some sort of a test for whether a post will be deleted? After posting this ?

As I’ve said before, I almost never delete anything here – unless we get somebody dropping a four figure # of silly posts per month and then I have to do something otherwise people start leaving.

I am pleased to say my mod workload is 10% of what it was a month or two ago

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As long as the “Mars curse” exists, no!

Another casualty was just added to the rover graveyard. EDM lander

Elon Musk says he is sending the first humans to Mars in 2024. Tell him he’s dreaming.

18 Posts
Sign in to add your message