Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Worth getting instruction for alpine flying?

I learned to fly at Bex (LSGB) within the Swiss Alps – the beginning of the Valais, and spent the first 10 years of my flying career based in Switzerland.

My advice for those wanting to learn about flying in the Alps is NOT to plan a trip from one side to the other. Even in summer, 2 days out of 3 you can’t fly VFR from an airfield on one side of the main range to one on the other. If it’s clear on the north side, it will likely be overcast on the other side, and vice versa. Instead pick a convenient base on the edge of the Alps and just spend a week flying around the mountains when and where the weather dictates it is safe. Let the weather dictate where you fly, not a prefixed itinerary.

The decision about whether to get specific mountain instruction is up to the individual and their degree of self discipline and skill.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

It would be dumb to fly below low cloud surrounded by terrain, unless you know exactly where and what etc.

I do that “all the time” But I do know where I am etc. Or at least I like to think I do… GPS is useful

Lower cloud ceiling is often combined with lower visibility. Then it gets much more difficult. Especially so if you are not used to flying along the terrain or “into” the terrain.

Hence, practicing it is the main thing here. This can be done in Scotland just as well as the Alps IMO.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Yes, Ben Nevis is 4k+

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

I do that “all the time” But I do know where I am etc. Or at least I like to think I do… GPS is useful

It depends on what you fly? the formula for 45deg turn radius (ft) = KTAS*KTAS/11, you will be surprised that you have more maneuverability in Cubs/Jodels (or Gliders) compared to SR22/TB20

It’s dumb to go there though even in helicopters at 130kts: turn radius & disorientation are agnostic to the type, you can ask Kobe Bryan pilot…
There are not that many pilots with huge mountain & instrument experience in the same aircraft !

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Nov 11:13
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

I got surprised once that I could not get C172 above 6kft (I did blame old airframe, tired engine and gravity), I figure out what was the problem later on and I took it to 12kft

Mixture?

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

Yes not leaning during full power climb…

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Nov 12:01

Best is the constant-EGT method – see here but you need an engine monitor. And we still don’t know whether the OP has a C150 or a SR22

As usual, the “Threads possibly related to this one” are worth a look at, notably VFR Alps Crossing.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

you will be surprised that you have more maneuverability in Cubs/Jodels (or Gliders) compared to SR22/TB20

Yes, but it’s the same principle. An SR22 for sure does not climb steeper than a cub. Trying to outclimb the terrain is not a good idea, especially if you don’t see the terrain

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I think this accident report is worth reading: https://www.sust.admin.ch/inhalte/AV-berichte/2147_e.pdf

Especially paragraph 2.2

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 03 Nov 19:22

I would add this one to highlight that some risks have nothing to do with the sheer of experience…

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/214039

Trying to outclimb the terrain is not a good idea

Strictly speaking, unless you have an afterburner, you really don’t need power to do mountain flying, you can do it in gliders with clouds attached to terrain and stiff winds but you have to stay ahead of aircraft nose

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Nov 19:33
Sign in to add your message