Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Wild Landings - pilot episode and Sling Aircraft !

Just watched this,

I am also impressed with the Sling Aircraft, the TSi variant is 4 seat that runs on Rotax 915 iS and expected to delivers more kts than horse power (nice replacement of the Mooney )

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Apr 14:31
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Yes, it seems impressive, and has good advertising with Mojogrip on YT.
But the kit is about 180k$ all in and here is what I found digging in Sling blogs :

Comment on a post from the builder saying he is asking a Sling rep to finish up his build after 5.5 years :

Wow, big decision indeed, though it sounds like the right one for you. I understand the frustration … I’m living it too, though for now I’m still patient enough to slowly work my way forward. It is definitely a much longer build than advertised IMO. Unfortunately, mostly due to plan and kit quality I think.

Answer from the builder

I definitely agree with your assessment. As the kit currently is (plans/QA) I think the S4 is a 1700 to 1800 hr slow build (more if you do more involved corrosion methods). If the plans were absolutely perfect and there were no QA issues, it could be a 1400 to 1600 hr build.

There seems to be a reason why they offer “build assist” at the factory (as Mojogrip does). I don’t know the price for it, it is in some of Mojogrip videos (over the 180k€).

As of today, if I build a plane I would stick to Vans. They don’t have reps nor build assist, so it is probably not needed
I hope Sling kits get better, and becomes a Vans competitor, it would make them work even harder to make wonderful planes from easy kits

LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

Comment on a post from the builder saying he is asking a Sling rep to finish up his build after 5.5 years :

At that pace, I think I will wait until 65years then start building a kit based on the years that remains for getting a medical

A guy I know managed to get a shinny Bristell NG5 built from a kit and up in the air in 18months (with extra help of his son), I think he only did this because he was done with all sort of flying

https://g-mlsy.home.blog/build-hours/

Hi guys,

Just a couple of points with regards to the comments above.

The build took 112 days to complete in 2019. I built the aircraft on my own with no external help at all except where I needed another pair of hands like attaching the wings. My sons, I have 4, live 110miles away so came down a couple of times during the build to see what I was up to!

I am an instructor, glider pilot and tug pilot and own an ASW20 and a Grob 109b so I’m very much still flying and managed to log over 100 hours in 2019 alongside the build. Definitely won’t be giving up flying as the Bristell is a fabulous aircraft and I built it to increase my flying (however Coronovirus has put paid to that for a while!).

What I will add is that I am retired so I could spend Mon-Fri each week on it and I purchased a fast build kit from Bristell so that made it quicker to complete but there is still a lot of work involved.

I have made enquiries about a Sling 4TSI to see if that could be my next project but I think it may be too demanding on my time.

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Regards
Trevor

Trevor_Mills_G_MLSY_pdf

https://g-mlsy.home.blog/

United Kingdom

Thanks @Millsey the blog it is really inspiring for anyone who wants to build (after I got bored watching RV14 build from Flight Chops ), hopefully MLSY get back up in the air soon once shutdown is over and catch up soon

Last Edited by Ibra at 26 Apr 14:00
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message