Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why no weathered airliners?

Hello,

In looking at all the builds of jetliners, one thing I noted was that 99% of them are immaculate. While they are impressive builds, they almost end up looking like toys. Most airliners I’ve seen show some degree of grime, the pic below was taken on a recent SWA flight and makes for a good example.

Weathering is pretty much mandatory for all other aircraft models, wonder why so few airliners are dirtied up?

I didn’t find the right solution from the internet.
References:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/297358-why-no-weathered-airliners/

2d character animation

They are washed and repainted regularly

Last Edited by Aviathor at 31 Oct 07:57
LFPT, LFPN

The paintwork on most airliners I have travelled on, is usually of rather poor quality. They can do this because the passenger rarely gets very close to the paint surface and does not get the opportunity to scrutinise it. From a distance though, it looks OK.

The best paintwork on aircraft is usually found on bizjets which are nearly always perfect. The owner/passenger also gets very close to the paintwork and is able to inspect it. No bizjet passenger is going to pay a premium price for air travel in a tatty looking aircraft.

The paint systems used on bizjets is also different to that used by airlines. It costs significantly more and is more like the paint used on cars which is much higher quality.

EGLK, United Kingdom

Funnily enough I know netjets often will paint the left hand side of the plane ie wings etc (where the pax enter) but not the right.

EGTK Oxford

Is your question about aircraft or about models of aircraft?

Most people want their models to show the immaculate airplane. There are a few who do realistic dirt modelling on their planes but I’d say they are very rare indeed. It is also quite difficult to do I understand.

A friend of mine has a thing for dioramas of the wars, where stock model kits get immersed into a landscape and often are modelled in pieces after crashes e.t.c It is amazing what they can do but it is x-times more work than a normal model to build.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

@Peter, this seems to be covert advertisement. The 2 posts of the user point to “2d animation” websites.

7 Posts
Sign in to add your message