Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which countries do allow you to land your Helicopter in your backyard

Malibuflyer wrote:

I am just wondering because a friend of mine wanted to build a proper helipad next to his beach villa on the cote d’azure and he did not get a permit for it because the neighbors objected – it would have been quite easy for him if he did not build a pad but just landed on a plot of gras next to his house which the neighbors can not prevent

There is a difference between an occasional landing in your garden and making it into an helipad. In the first case, you are limited in how many movements you can have (but I don’t know the limit), and your neighbor can complain (bad neighbors will do that despite actual legislation…). in the second case, the number of movement would not be limited and for that you need the agreement of your neighbors and the municipality and some other requirements, I don’t remember them all…
Paris is surrounded by Class-A and the inner part is P from 0 to 6000’, so the helipad is not going to be very useful!

ENVA, Norway

One of our aéroclub members used to work in Paris and spend his weekends in Burgundy. He had an R22 which he flew from one of the Paris GA aerodromes to his château. He obviously had enough space to operate a small helicopter there, but I don’t know if he asked for permission or not. The R22 was too slow, so he sold it and bought an R44, which annoyed the neighbours, and he had to stop. Is an R44 that much louder than an R22?

He sold the R44, leased an SR22, and got an extra car to leave in Burgundy. Door-to-door time including the extra driving was about the same.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

WingsWaterAndWheels wrote:

There is a difference between an occasional landing in your garden and making it into an helipad.

Yes, there is – the latter one is a significant safety improvement!

It actually seems to be a kind of an interesting legislation in France if you can land freely as long as the slot is not declared as and equipped as helipad but as soon as you declare it to be a Helipad (and apply proper markings, lighting, etc.) it is forbidden if the neighbors do not agree. In other countries (esp. in Germany) everyone wildly complains if the regulation favors the less safe option.

The restriction of number of landings is not a valid argument because this is much easier done on a proper helipad and comparatively unclear if not (e.g. can I do the maximum number of landings one time in front of my home and one time behind or do the landings in the front and backyard add up? If so – how far away does the second spot have to be so that it counts as separate landing space with its own limit? …)

Germany

Anyone here who successfully obtained such a slip of paper in Germany, for a helicopter of a fixed wing aircraft?

I have a few years ago for fixed wing. It was not very difficult and cost maybe 80 Euros for 10 landings. But they did insist on a person on the ground which could call the ambulance just in case. Also the case was a bit special because it was actually on an airport but the airport was closed at that time. Actually I think most of those permissions for fixed wing are issued for closed runways, former runways, runways not certified for that type of aircraft, certified on UL/glider runway etc.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Malibuflyer wrote:

But just to make sure I get it right: If I buy a plot in the middle of Paris that is big enough to safely land with a Heli, no neighbour could object to me landing there as long as I do this privately?

Correct, but try getting there given the airspace restrictions. Seriously, are we talking about the aviation law or what is possible if the neighbours object? Almost anywhere, if the neighbours object to anything loud and long enough, authorities will get involved. That doesn’t just apply to aviation.

Last Edited by chflyer at 17 Mar 14:13
LSZK, Switzerland
55 Posts
Sign in to add your message