Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which countries do allow you to land your Helicopter in your backyard

The main issue in the US in this regard is half the population density. There is a just a lot more land, around people’s houses included. Also people are in general a lot less stressed about this and any number of other things – which is also related to lower population density IMO.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Mar 17:38

Pretty sure it is also not allowed in the Netherlands, only approved airports / heliports.

Permitted with permission from the local mayor

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

And under what conditions are those permissions granted?

Biggin Hill

I have never needed to ask but the local fire department will be involved. Since experience flights from sports fields etc were fairly commonplace before COVID the conditions cannot be too onerous

Here’s a good video of my friend who is a master of confined area operations. He was wondering why the local medivac helicopter needed to use the local football field

He’s been at it for decades and has owned lots of them.

shorturl.at/efBM3

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

In the UK, anywhere with landowner permission.

Operations are limited to 28 days a year under the rule which applies to all the “change of use” activities (fixed wing flying, etc); discussed in detail here. However this 28 day rule may be different if you can land the heli within the “curtilage” of your property which would mean having to have a fairly big garden.

In practice, the neighbours will hate you unless they are similarly wealthy and I am sure the same issue will appear in every other country.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@WilliamF – your link returns a non existent page error

Peter_Mundy wrote:

@WilliamF – your link returns a non existent page error

EC120 Landing Confined Area

I was trying a link shortener, it made a mess of the link. This one should work.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Operations are limited to 28 days a year under the rule which applies to all the “change of use”

Yes, up to a point… Unauthorised change of use for more than 28 days a year is not an offence, and planning approval is only required if someone objects within 10 years.

I think the trick, which surely has wider application than just keeping an aeroplane at home is not to annoy one’s neighbours. This is much easier if they are few in number, and easier with fixed wing than rotary.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Yes, of course. I worded it badly. But the link I posted has all the details.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message