Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which countries do allow you to land your Helicopter in your backyard

IME much depends on how often and over what period you need to use the landing area.
Over the years, I have been involved in negotiating heli landing sites on every continent and in all of Europe. In all cases landowners permission was necessary, including land owned by government and provincial departments.
After that it is normal to discuss with ATS services that you will be working in the area and an agreement/discussion with the local NAA.
The local police will also need to be informed.
Usually finding the right people to talk to was the biggest problem.
Landing areas have been used anything from a couple of hours to a couple of months depending on the job.
Biggest problem is that wherever you are military fast jet pilots see you as a new toy to play with.

France

Seems to be the typical German problem: everything is forbidden until we specifically allow it.

Germany

Charlie wrote:

Basically it’s only Germany that has a problem.

But mostly for private operations. AOC operators apparently can get a general approval and then the situation is similar to other countries.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

BerlinFlyer wrote:

Seems to be the typical German problem: everything is forbidden until we specifically allow it.

True but as you are from EDAZ you might have seen the older gentleman with I think a JetRanger who comes to refuel from time to time. I was told he operates from a private place in the area but I have no further details.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Pretty sure it is also not allowed in the Netherlands, only approved airports / heliports.

EHLE, Netherlands

Some years ago we made a commercial for a paint manufacturer nr Rotterdam. Landed on an industrial site which was part of the manufacturing plant. IIRC a jet ranger was used and a local firm brought the fuel in a bowser with their own magic mix of diesel and ethanol from a garage down the road.
I don’t recall any extra difficulties to those in Germany or Switzerland.

France

Sebastian_G wrote:

But mostly for private operations. AOC operators apparently can get a general approval and then the situation is similar to other countries.

Confirmed by a couple of heli pilots here.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Finland allowed, assuming land owner permission.

EFHF

Charlie wrote:

In France you need a Helisurfaces permit from the Gendarmerie which is a hassle to get but is valid for 10 years the.

Then in France it is actually the very same situation as in Germany: If your land is big enough you can also get a permit to establish your private heliport there which is also a hassle but not impossible to get as long as it is only for your private flights.

Germany

BerlinFlyer wrote:

whereas it’s apparently no problem … (and of course in the US anyway)

Sounds like many of these stories about America: Things are the simpler the less we know about them.

But yes: If you have the financial means of a Paul Allen you will find a way to land your help in front of your property (but obviously you might need much more funds if you want to land on your property ;-).

Last Edited by Malibuflyer at 12 Mar 15:12
Germany
Sign in to add your message