Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What country to move your EASA PPL to?

Are there any UK approved AME’s who lurk on here, who could help me out with a recently apparent issue, seemingly on formalities, that I don’t fully understand.

I think my AME is away at conference or holiday; I haven’t been able to raise him for a while, and the UK CAA have said that they need a translated copy of the letter I’ve received from the LBA in order to assist me further (all I asked for was a clarification )

EDHS, Germany

Peter wrote:

I am puzzled as to why someone who e.g. never lived in the UK should have a UK license

Anybody who trained for a EASA PPL at one of the six US-based schools and also Fly-In-Spain (Jerez) will have been awarded a UK CAA-issued license.

Pre-brexit, I never saw a reason to transfer my license to any other state (Germany least of all, even though I live here, based on the mentioned bureaucratic hassles).

I’m still waiting this out to be honest…

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Patrick wrote:

Germany least of all, even though I live here, based on the mentioned bureaucratic hassles

Actually to be fair, on the German side it’s been pretty painless…

EDHS, Germany

italianjon wrote:

Actually to be fair, on the German side it’s been pretty painless…

I was not so much referring to the hassle of the transfer itself and more to the additional (useless) hassles regarding ZÜP, medical data protection (which I understand is now obsolete though), etc. In any case, does the transfer of the ELP Level 6 work seamlessly with the LBA?

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Hi Patrick,

Ah! OK

Patrick wrote:

the additional (useless) hassles regarding ZÜP

For me this was a bit of a hassle, but only because I’ve been in Germany for 9.5 years, and they need 10 years of addresses, so I had 6 months of UK addresses and this meant I had to get a Police Check from the UK, and get that translated. It was a hassle. But at the ZUP renewal, I’ll have the 10 years of addresses, so it’s just a formality.

Patrick wrote:

medical data protection

This I checked this very carefully, just in case I ever need to transfer out. This link summaries it well I think – PundF article on German Medical Situation

I’ll keep my opinion of this debacle to myself But you’re correct, it’s not an issue anymore. As long as your medical record with the LBA started after July 2016.

Patrick wrote:

does the transfer of the ELP Level 6 work seamlessly with the LBA?

Yes, very easy, you have to send your documentation to the Bundesnetzagentur in Köln and ask for a recognition. They will then tell you what you need to do, and refer you to your local Bundesnetzagentur office for the R/T licence issue and test. They accepted the Level 6 off my UK PPL (as no separate R/T Licence) and advised me, that because of my IR(R), although elapsed, I could sit an abridged “German Only R/T” Test and get the AZF. They were more than helpful! And it was very easy.

EDHS, Germany
55 Posts
Sign in to add your message