Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What country to move your EASA PPL to?

Peter wrote:

So, the last AME you visited becomes the country holding your medical records? Can you nominate that country, or do you have to have to get a medical there?

No, the tail will not wag the dog :-)
The country issuing your licence holds the medical records. Transferring the licence to another country requires the (complete!) medical records to be transferred to the prospective licence holding agency. A problem with that transfer (e.g. currently with the German LBA) effectively prevents the transfer of licence.

You can apply for a medical at any EASA approved AME and send the medical to the agency that issued your licence.

Peter wrote:

Why would that matter if you live in the UK?

It can matter, if you do not live in the UK, but have a G-reg for other reasons (e.g. flying a Cessna ;-) )
Reading AIPs from time to time, it looks as if sometimes GA flights from non-EU countries fall under different rules.
(doesn’t matter for me, so just an impression)

If I understand it correctly, the process has merely started and is likely to take years?
The curiosity of folks affected is natural, but the old virtue of patience may be best applied here, too.

Last Edited by ch.ess at 30 Mar 08:01
EDM_, Germany

I have no idea what Denmark or Switzerland does. In Norway, an EASA plane can stay forever, but any other reg is 6 months.

I really doubt that the UK will stay in EASA. I don’t see how that should be organized. The UK is going for a clean break. This means the UK CAA and EASA will make some mutual agreements and so on, but the UK will not be a part of EASA. But then again, politics – who knows?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

I really doubt that the UK will stay in EASA. I don’t see how that should be organized.

Just the same way as in Iceland, Switzerland and Norway and other non-EU EASA members (if there are any others).

LeSving wrote:

The UK is going for a clean break.

No way. Just yesterday they started the process of “raisin picking” (as our prime minister calls it) – keeping the good things from the EU and dropping the bad ones. For the airlines in the UK, being in EASA is a good thing. And it is airlines, not private pilots (no one in politics cares the least about tbose to put it mildly, sorry to say that) who will drive this kind of decision.

Last Edited by what_next at 30 Mar 17:24
EDDS - Stuttgart

That’s why I think the UK will be able to achieve the list I posted without anybody in the EU being too bothered. There will be much bigger fish for the EU to fry.

Most EASA members are doing their own stuff anyway… look at the thread about spin recovery for just one example.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

look at the thread about spin recovery for just one example.

And the medical records (I doubt that any medical records of me even exist as I am free to choose a different AME every year who knows nothing about the previous one).

EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

as I am free to choose a different AME every year who knows nothing about the previous one

Not in the UK. AME’s have access to NHS records.Peter wrote:

There will be much bigger fish for the EU to fry.

It won’t be the EU. UK will not want it. Industry or business concerns are not important. The only important thing is the ‘will of the people’

United Kingdom

mdoerr wrote:

It won’t be the EU. UK will not want it. Industry or business concerns are not important. The only important thing is the ‘will of the people’

That and ‘GET ON WITH IT!’.
This Brexit business is such a mess for me. Being Maltese, having lived in the UK for a number of years, moved to Portugal 2 years ago. I’ve got an English partner, and kids, UK property, pension contributions, investments and pilot and car licence… I’m in complete legal limbo. Thank you Mr Farage.

But seriously why would the UK pilots want to be in EASA anyway? Judging but UK pilot forums and chats in the clubs 99% of them absolutely despise EASA.

Does anyone know how likely is it, assuming UK leaves EASA, that I will be able to fly EU registered aircraft with my UK licence?

geekyflyer wrote:

Does anyone know how likely is it, assuming UK leaves EASA, that I will be able to fly EU registered aircraft with my UK licence?

Before EASA and even before JAR there were treaties between most European countries by which almost every aircraft could be flown with almost every license. No big deal. But honestly I guess that if the UK should leave EASA (which the airlines will not allow), the remaining EASA countries will set an example by treating the UK like a third world country.

EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

And the medical records (I doubt that any medical records of me even exist as I am free to choose a different AME every year who knows nothing about the previous one).

Well, I don’t know about Germany but not true here. When I changed my AME a few years back, the new one read me back the notes of the old one, everything was available to him.

geekyflyer wrote:

But seriously why would the UK pilots want to be in EASA anyway? Judging but UK pilot forums and chats in the clubs 99% of them absolutely despise EASA.

That will be until they find out that without it they will loose quite a lot of privileges they have now. e.g. being able to fly any EASA registered airplane without validation and other stuff. Selling and importing airplanes outside the UK will become more difficult in an otherwise open market.

I’ve been burned by this anti EASA sentiment before and actually, it was quite accurate in the years before the GA roadmap and other stuff. BUT when Patrick Ky started cleaning up EASA’s act on GA, it was THEN that most people found out that the real bad stuff did not come from EASA at all but from their own CAA’s who used EASA as a “big brother” excuse to impose their own gold plating onto their people. Some CAA’s in Europe have been found with their trousers not only down but having recently surfaced near Australia because of this.

So beware of the brave new post EASA world if you don’t know what it will bring. It MAY be better but does it HAVE to be?

The other side of that medal of course is that the UK reg could become the new equivalent of M, T7 e.t.c. The question is, how long will EASA tolerate flag of convenience for it’s own residents. Back to the good old N-Reg problem but this time on a European scale?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

what_next wrote:

For the airlines in the UK, being in EASA is a good thing. And it is airlines, not private pilots (no one in politics cares the least about tbose to put it mildly, sorry to say that) who will drive this kind of decision.

The airlines aren’t that confident about that happening though, easyJet for one are going to the expense of starting up a non-UK European AOC for their operations that fly between European countries that are not the UK.

Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message