Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Movie lens correction software for windows XP (or any other OS)?

For Vista upwards there is e.g. DEFISHR but I can’t find any program which is older than that. But there must be stuff “out there” because this is such a common requirement…

Ideally I would like a Vegas 11 plug-in but I am fairly sure that was never done. There is a filter in Vegas which can do correction but it is a bodge and not a proper barrel distortion corrector.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think I have something like that in my CPM68K collection. If only I could find a way to read those 8" floppies…

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Or you could just let go of the past?

Last Edited by Neil at 03 May 12:39
Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

As I’ve said before, I run XP for specific apps (PCB design etc).

I could build yet another PC but can’t be bothered to waste my life on yet more IT stuff. Another day

All the products I have thus far found need either a later OS or winXP 64-bit.

Boris FX and Prodad Mercalli are two such examples.

The thing is that this stuff does exist – because people have been doing this job for ages. It could be some old version of the above programs. But the companies refuse to discuss (or sell me) old versions. I need to do more googling and maybe look around the torrent sites

One solution, which is crude but works, is to export the movie to jpegs, and run a batch process in photoshop to do the correction, then re-create a movie from the jpegs. The ETE for that would however be measured in days

This might do it, with a substantial learning curve.

Administrator

You may find your life a lot easier and actually be wasting less life on IT stuff if you get an up to date OS and run your last remaining XP need in a virtual machine. VirtualBox is free and performs well. I use it to be able to run Xilinx ISE under Debian on my Mac laptop with no problems (including programming devices).

Andreas IOM

I fully concur with the virtualisation suggestion, myself had a virtualised Win-XP until it refused to boot for some uncouth reason. Have to look into that one day real soon now.
But the G/A environment is famous for sticking to old traditions…

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

But the G/A environment is famous for sticking to old traditions

Let me explain…

I have at least four old apps which I can’t replace. Well, I can replace the PCB one for about 5000-10000 quid (Altium, I believe; we had the salesman onto us recently, gradually coming down from the initial 20000 price ) but that will PROB99 not import the current designs (Protel PCB 2.8) correctly. Then you get onto Orcad SDT/386 whose original win3.1 successor would already not import the SDT designs! The salesman’s answer? “You have to break some eggs to make an omelette”. IOW, f++k the customer. SDT/386 runs perfectly under XP, with a GUI driver, 1024×768 or more.

I don’t do Xilinx design work anymore, thank god, but that would have been another case, though from what Alioth says a VM works for that.

The result of “moving forward” is that one needs to maintain an old PC sitting in the corner, which gets powered up a few times a year, and you know what happens then… one day you find it is dead.

myself had a virtualised Win-XP until it refused to boot for some uncouth reason

Exactly…

Anyway, and I know you wanted to know this I have just bought (Ebay) a GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard, with an i7 970 3.2 GHz Socket 1366 CPU – the most powerful setup for winXP (yes there are XP drivers for the whole chipset) and pretty well everything after that, and I will go from there. Do a XP/7 dual boot and see what works.

Administrator

Why not build a new machine to run win 10 with a skin so it looks like windows 7. Then it’ll be fast (you can use an SSD without ruining it) and you won’t have the problem of running win XP. Then keep win XP for old programs on another machine.

For PCB software, there would be no need to convert to Altium for what you do. Today’s Altium bears no resemblance to Protel, you would be fine with Kicad (free and very good), Proteus, Eagle etc…

United Kingdom

IO390 wrote:

you would be fine with Kicad (free and very good), Proteus, Eagle etc…

That might work for new projects, but I’m fairly sure that none of those would import Protel schematics and layouts…

LSZK, Switzerland

Altium might (it is an incarnation of Protel) but I doubt it will actually work on designs done in Protel PCB 2.8 (1995). The others are unlikely to have a fully (or even partly) functioning Protel PCB 2.x import.

Win10 is itself a problem with old win16 software, and AFAIK any 64-bit OS won’t run any of it, except in a VM.

Regarding the original topic, Avisynth might do the job and might be a good solution regardless of the OS used – because the camera and lens (the under-wing Sony camera) are always the same in this case, so a text script driven processor is a good way to do it. It’s just a pity it isn’t a plug-in for Vegas because then one would avoid the intermediate step.

This kind of stuff is probably what drives 4k recording (rather than 1080P) because you can throw away a load of the image and still end up with a decent 1080 image, but then you get

• no motion stabilisation in any current “action camera”, or any current smartphone for that matter
  • massive files (100mbits/sec base data rate)
  • need absolutely top-end SD cards and even then most of them don’t work (the action cam forums are full of complaints) because the action cams have crappy buffering
  • rendering takes 4x longer e.g. 20hrs for a 15 minute finished movie, quad core 3GHz i7 CPU
  • only a silly-money video card will play the stuff on a (top-end) PC
  • when you upload to Vimeo, instead of throwing away 80% of the quality, it throws away 95%
  • self hosting the huge files is even less practical than with 1080P
  • forget the typical 50GB/month UK ADSL allowance
Administrator
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message