Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Smart watch - any benefit to pilots?

Funny – I cannot get enough to satisfy demand

Which shows once again that what people write on the internet and what they do in real life is not the same But I am an exception: I will not buy this watch. I don’t like digital watches and I don’t like grey LCD displays. I wait until they come up with something like Google Glass that provides a head-up display with all necessary aviation related information…

EDDS - Stuttgart

If Garmin have done the job properly, they will have an appstore for it.

The D2 is ment to work with the Garmin Pilot app.

I’d rather buy a Breitling emergency 2, but that is a lot of money.

[the > is no longer used for quotes – see Posting Tips]

Last Edited by Peter at 19 Nov 09:40
United Kingdom

Has anyone been able to download the Garmin Pilot App from the UK store?

United Kingdom

I use my watch everytime I fly – to log the times. Since I upgraded to the right seat, I can’t read the planes clock from there…

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Apparently one can now get flight plans confirmed, slots notifications, etc

However I can see two reasons why a smart watch may be pointless:

• it needs charging every night, which is quite a different usage mode to a normal watch (have to take it off)
  • the fact that you can just have it on your wrist is defeated by having to carry a charger when away from home
  • it doesn’t appear to do anything a smartphone can’t do, and you will always have the phone with you anyway
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

simple answer – no

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

It is only a “smart phone” dressed up in style, no surprise its functionality is the same, at best, while price is (perhaps) double.
You have been told before that, in the 21st century, watches are NOT functional items, they are jewellery.

Last Edited by at 06 Apr 16:28
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Peter wrote:

it needs charging every night, which is quite a different usage mode to a normal watch (have to take it off)

I have a Sony wrist band with “electronic ink” (same screen technology as those Kindles). It last for 3-4 days on one charge, and charges in 20 minutes. I wouldn’t say it is useful for flying, other than displaying time, but it does display messages and you can answer phone calls on it through bt to your phone.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Wow! I pick up my phone to do that. I must say that as a self confessed gadget freak I am underwhelmed by all the offerings so far

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

For a mere $70 or so, one can get a GPS-enabled smart watch running full-blown Android (made in the Celestial Empire, obviously). It would take some tuning to make popular navigation apps usable on a 2" screen, but it should be possible. I’ll give it a try when I have time.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 06 Apr 18:56
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic
Sign in to add your message