Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Smart watch - any benefit to pilots?

Not sure which activity would make the watch ‘active’. Would every time your wrist twists and the watch dial is shown ne counted as active? In any case, I would doubt anything lasting 80 days without charge even with minimal use.
Garmin D2 air with normal smartwatch use (SPO2 measure at each night, some moderate activity, and normal activity tracking etc) lasts about 4 days. This is a big improvement for me over Apple Watch 4 that indeed needs charging every day.

EDMB, Germany

Garmin are doing an “aviation style” one now

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I bought a Withings scanwatch last year, very different from all smartwatches, it actually looks like a real one, but with all sensors. I’m quite pleased because it’s not too bulky and doesn’t attract the eyes like an oled screen and this way I don’t spending my time oinking my wrist :D.
The O2 sensor is nice but I need to stop moving to have accurate result with O2. The ECG function at the contrary is really working well, but so far useless for me at the moment.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 08 Feb 21:24
LFMD, France

The D2Air has been out for roughly 4 years now – do try and keep up 😀The D2Air X10 is the latest iteration.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Peter_Mundy wrote:

The D2Air X10 is the latest iteration.

Has anyone on EuroGA used one yet and cares to give a review?

My wife has bought herself a Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 and now wants to get me a smart watch as well, and I’m still unsure wheter it makes any sense to get a Garmin D2 Air or wheter the pilot-related functions aren’t worth it and I should just get a Galaxy watch (my main smartphone is a Galaxy S10, so any Apple watch is out of the question)?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I have it. Only aviation use – it shows the EHLE METAR on the face as well as the time. Other normal smart watch functions work well enough.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I understand that there are smartwatches that measure 02 saturation, this would be a nice feature to have.

EHTE, Netherlands

Unfortunately, this doesn’t work in flight above FL100.

EBST, Belgium

Why not? It is intentionally suppressed?

I used to look at these £800 Garmin watches with interest but the thought of something which needs taking off the wrist (I use a silicone band, not the fast to remove stainless one) every x days for charging really puts me off. Especially if one travels a fair bit. I moved from quartz watches to self winding ones years ago (after a battery ran out on a trip) and really like the idea.

Maybe one day they will make self winding smart watches

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have no idea. Tried it multiple times +FL150. It always said it wasn’t able to determine blahblah… The only reason I bought an Apple Watch was for this saturation feature. Not sure if the Garmin watch is any better. I asked them via Twitter but of course I never got a reply.

EBST, Belgium
Sign in to add your message