Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do not use invalid or throwaway email addresses to sign up to EuroGA, and check your email address is still valid

Just had more joinups by apparently real people/pilots but with fake email addresses.

These joinups are never approved, for reasons posted above.

Today I found something curious: a fake gmail address failed to even send, suggesting that google is bouncing the connection / not allowing a connection to its SMTP server. I wonder if anyone can test this.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s time to bring this one up again

Some % of people are joining up with bogus (or mis-spelt) email addresses.

Then they don’t get approved to post or PM, so they email the Contact link complaining they can’t post or PM. So I reply by email, and my reply bounces (of course)

Administrator

Due to some recent irritating bot activity we have now implemented blocking of signups which show certain characteristics typical of spammers. This is for new signups.

A part of this involves blocking of throwaway email addresses.

Many online community sites are doing the same, not least because invalid email addresses cause bouncebacks which increase the chance of the server ending up blacklisted and then genuine users of the community don’t get the email-transmitted PMs, watch notifications, etc.

You will also not get PMs back from other people…

If you are unable to sign up and get a message saying “we are not accepting signups at the moment” then you are getting picked up by this measure. If you are “real” then please email admin via the Contact link at the top of each page, giving details of what you are trying to login as, what email address you are using, etc.

If you are unable to post or send PMs, check that your profile contains a valid email address, etc.

There are also other countermeasures which we are not disclosing

Administrator

Yes, one of the issues with emails which become duff by design after say 24hrs is that PMs bounce back or just go nowhere.

Right now somebody is asking me about contacting someone who posted about some homebuilt plans…

Administrator

I too use a different email address for each commercial organisation. It is simply an anti spam measure and enables me to know where spam has originated and, if necessary, block incoming from an organisation that is bothering me too much.

But I think that that’s very different from Peter’s plea about throwaway addresses.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I have the same setup as @Noe both on my personal and business emails. It works great for the reasons mentioned above.

ESME, ESMS

I highly doubt the businnes products such as g-suite have the emails read. My understanding is that even the personal @gmail.com are no longer scanned
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jun/26/google-will-stop-scanning-content-of-personal-emails

It is all very well for those who don’t mind Google (machine-)reading their mail and using it for advertising.

Biggin Hill

It’s now called Google G-suite. You essentially get your own domain, and then you get gmail-type email on it. When I did it it was free (and I’m still being grandfathered).
Work also felt it was the best solution (we are in a way a very technical company, with world class programmers)

https://gsuite.google.co.uk/intl/en_uk/

Last Edited by Noe at 10 Sep 16:00

Noe wrote:

I have a similar set up (google apps makes this very easy) where any email sent to an address that doesn’t exist on my domain gets forwarded to me. I can use an infinity of addresses to receive email without actually creating them (but can’t send any email from them)

If you are willing the share the setup I am interested to put something similar in place :-)

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message