Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sharing a Jeppesen (IFR) e-chart subscription

I'm looking for 3 additional people interested in sharing the costs of a Jeppesen e-chart (IFR) subscription (for EU only). For each subscription there will be 4 serial keys (which can be used separately, independently, on different planes and on different hardwares). I checked with Jeppesen whether this sharing could in principle break any license term and conditions and they confirmed that this is not the case. They basically do not care how one is using the 4 serial keys. They can be used either with the PC software JeppView, or the mobile apps (iPad, etc..): TC Mobile or the novel Flightdeck. 1 serial key can be used only in one app/software (either TC or Flightdeck or Jeppview) at the same time (with the possibility to un-register the key and use afterwards with another software).

In this way, the costs of yearly subscription can became as low as 365.33 Euros per year. Please contact me, if anybody is interested in this option. As soon as we will form a group of 4 people we can proceed with the purchase.

Thanks, Teo

More info here:

Teo
LSZE, LSZR, LSZH, Switzerland

Hi Teo, I don't know if you're a member, but you might want to check out pplir - some people there are talking to Jeppesen to make these subscriptions easier to manage and less ridiculously expensive.

EGEO

I checked with Jeppesen whether this sharing could in principle break any license term and conditions and they confirmed that this is not the case. They basically do not care how one is using the 4 serial keys.

That is an excellent result!

This obvious "cost reduction system" was always believed to contravene Jepp's terms and conditions.

Make sure you get that reply in writing...

some people there are talking to Jeppesen to make these subscriptions easier to manage and less ridiculously expensive.

I suspect the sticking point will be MFD (panel mounted platform) subscriptions.

On those, Jepp do not allow the four-ways split.

Jepp might (I suspect) agree to offering a 1/2 price Jeppview 4 (Windows or IOS platform - it's all basically the same cost) installable on 2 devices, or even a 1/4 price Jeppview 4 installable on just 1 device. If they did that, they would not mess up their corporate sales which is the vast bulk of their business, because all those customers need a backup (e.g. a busy bizjet needs 3 or even 4 pilots).

But I can't see them ever reducing the price for a panel mount platform, from the current ~ €2000/year for Europe. They would be mad to do that. Why should they? The only way to cost reduce those is to have multiple people flying the plane and have them all contributing to the cost.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Jwoolard - I will check that - Although I would be already quite happy if I would manage to organise this sharing between 4 people (i.e. find 3 additional ones)

and many thanks to Peter as well for offering the possibility to collect GA interested people on this website.

It took a couple of phone calls to Jeppesen to find out those info. Of course, I did not specify that (my apologies), this is useful if one is planning either to have the e-charts subscription available on his/her tablet or computer. This is NOT related to the MFD subscriptions.

Also, offering 4 licenses, Jeppesen basically says: it's up to you to administer those 4 keys (eventually finding other people interested in sharing the costs) - we want the price of the annual subscription payed by one person only.

I've been working so far with some AIP plates (and the eurocontrol website gives a great service offering them for free - for many countries). But let's be serious: if you are under stress you do not want to cope with different charts formats in your airplane - it is definitely much better to stay with one format (that you know by heart).

Thanks again! Teo

Teo

Teo,

You said:

I'm looking for 3 additional people interested in sharing the costs of a Jeppesen e-chart (IFR) subscription (for EU only). For each subscription there will be 4 serial keys (which can be used separately, independently, on different planes and on different hardwares). I checked with Jeppesen whether this sharing could in principle break any license term and conditions and they confirmed that this is not the case. They basically do not care how one is using the 4 serial keys. They can be used either with the PC software JeppView, or the mobile apps (iPad, etc..): TC Mobile or the novel Flightdeck. 1 serial key can be used only in one app/software (either TC or Flightdeck or Jeppview) at the same time (with the possibility to un-register the key and use afterwards with another software).

Also, offering 4 licenses, Jeppesen basically says: it's up to you to administer those 4 keys (eventually finding other people interested in sharing the costs) - we want the price of the annual subscription payed by one person only.

I would be grateful if you could provide me with the written response you received from Jeppesen, and ask your permission to provide it (if requested) to my local Jeppesen agent. Thank you, ANTEK

[email protected]

YSCB

Teo,

In the US (I think this is consistent world wide) a subscription to a panel mount chart solution comes with a subscription to JeppTC and JeppFD and JeppView. The panel mount charts are one airplane only. But there are 4 licenses for computers for the other programs. We have JeppView on the pc, JeppFD and JeppTC on each of two iPads. Jepp doesn't care, so far as I know, what you do with your computers. I can use them or my wife can use them or I can lend them to a friend. So long as the computer fits within the 4 devices limitation. They also offer subscriptions to JeppFD by itself, at a far smaller cost. I am not sure, but I think that also comes with the 4 device limitation.

The JeppFD solution is a superior product (IMHO) for IFR flight. It is a vector product that scales with additional information as you "zoom in". It also Pans effortlessly. Approach plates for departure airport, destination airport and alternate airport (as many as you like) are instantly available, well organized. The night presentation is new and best in class (IMHO). Our solution for backup used to be paper. Now it is 2 iPads plus the built in Multi Function Display.

We have found a mount is needed for the iPad. We mount ours on the control column. It works.

We have found JeppTC (which comes with a JeppFD subscription) useful for looking up airports without going to the effort of putting in a flight plan. The program is smaller and faster. On the few occasions we have had trouble keeping JeppFD open, JeppTC becomes a backup. We have found both products to be quite reliable.

Enjoy your use. We love our subscription.

Gary and Alice Nelson N52886, a Skylane

KBDN (Bend Oregon, USA), Other

Dear GaryandAlice,

Enjoy your use. We love our subscription.

I have no complains about the quality. I have great "reservations" regarding the price (for the strictly private use )!

YSCB

In the US (I think this is consistent world wide) a subscription to a panel mount chart solution comes with a subscription to JeppTC and JeppFD and JeppView. The panel mount charts are one airplane only. But there are 4 licenses for computers for the other programs

Same here, in essence.

It's obviously a good move to allow people to split the cost 4 ways officially (I think it's fair to say people have been doing this unofficially for years) but this doesn't address people with an MFD who still get only a single platform license.

There have been allegations that Jepp charge more in Europe than in the USA for the same data but I am not sure if anybody has found a clear example. Certainly they charge vastly more for European data than for US data (on a per-airport basis) but then they have to because in the USA you can get free NACO plates which are cockpit-usable, whereas most of the free European plates are drafted for A4 and have various other issues.

Isn't JeppTC going to be discontinued? From what I read somewhere, they are planning to drop everything (including Flitestar) leaving just JeppFD. In fact FS is already finished (no updates to the program) but if you have a combined FS+JV installation, the Jepp DVD updates both in one go.

I had a play with JeppFD on the Ipad a while ago and it crashed about 10 times in 1 hour, so I got rid of it. This was pretty bad; for all my reservations about the "crippled functionality" of most IOS apps, not to mention the device itself, they don't usually crash. JeppTC worked OK (it's a pure approach plate viewer with quite a slick interface) and I know people who use it for real.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I run JeppFD on an iPad1 and other than the occasional hang which is cured by an exit and restart of the app, it is pretty reliable now. And I am no fan of iPads and iOS.

EGTK Oxford

Dear ANTEK,

I followed Peter's suggestion - as I mentioned already all communications I had with Jeppesen were by phone - and I tried to have a written statement from them. Well, the story is quite long but be sure that it is also quite funny. Let's start by my correspondence with Jeppesen EU support:

To: FRA-Services Subject: Purchase of "Central Europe IFR Electronic Charts"

Dear Jeppesen Service,

I would like to purchase an electronic subscription for the following item:

Central Europe IFR Electronic Charts (1461.32 Euros)

to use on my PC and iPad or iPhone (TC Mobile or FlightDeck). Unfortunately the website is not clear on how many serial keys I will get paying 1461.32 Euros. On how many devices will I be able to use this subscription concurrently ? Are there any limitations? Also, the website is not clear about the licensing terms? Can you please send me a copy or point me to the license terms?

Best Regards,

On Feb 21, 2013, at 11:42 AM, FRA-Services wrote:

Good morning Thank you for your email below. Please register your details at www.jeppdirect.com to be given an account number, as I don’t seem to find anything for you?

Have a look at the lastest update we have for Jeppesen Mobile Flitedeck, which also gives all details about this service.

With the yearly service you are given four site keys but you can also purchase another two site keys should they be needed later on.

Kind regards

Subject: Re: Purchase of "Central Europe IFR Electronic Charts"(AJS)

Good morning,

Thanks for your reply and info - I registered my details (account number ********) on your website. The question I have is: "Am I allowed to share one of these 4 keys with 3 different people ?" I cannot find these types of limitations in any place on your website. I spoke at the phone last week with one of your representative and they told me that it's OK - that it is NOT a problem. But, before buying an electronic subscription (of 2000,0 Euros), I would like to be sure that I'm not breaking any terms of license or conditions.

Best Regards,

On Feb 27, 2013, at 3:18 PM, FRA-Services wrote:

Good afternoon Sir Thank you for your email below. The service is only allowed for the one aircraft. If they use a different aircraft then they shall need to but a service themselves.

Kind regards

Subject: Re: Purchase of "Central Europe IFR Electronic Charts"(AJS)

Thank you [omissis],

I understand that - but does this mean that if I fly different airplanes (in different flight clubs), I also need multiple licenses? In my case, I fly airplanes from 3 different clubs (overall, 6 different airplanes) - should I buy 6 subscriptions?

Thanks,

From: FRA-Services Sent: 27 February 2013 14:26 Subject: RE: Purchase of "Central Europe IFR Electronic Charts"(AJS)

Yes unfortunately this would be per aircraft.

Kind regards

few minutes later.. she decided to add 1 sentence to her reply..

On Feb 27, 2013, at 14:33 PM, wrote:

As per our license agreement this would not be allowed.

Kind regards

Here it come the funny part: In the meanwhile, I called back their support number in UK and very naively, I asked the lady at the phone: I drive 6 different airplanes, does it mean that I have to spend 12K euros of charts subscriptions?

She replied: "Of course not! We do understand that - it is enough that you buy 1 subscription only"

me: "Ok, but in this way I will break the license agreement, right?"

she: "Yes indeed - but you know, our license agreement are for business partners and we understand that general aviation cannot undergo the same terms", "Moreover, first we do not register the airplane plate when you buy a chart subscription and second we have no way to check and or impose the conditions of the license agreement - that is we have no way to check that you really fly with 1 airplane only"

me: "Ok, but can I have a written statement that I'm allowed to use my subscription with more than just 1 airplane? Or that I can use my 4 keys in the way I like it more?"

she: [laughing] "no, unfortunately I cannot provide you any written statement"

That's why at this point, I decide to continue with the FRA-services and write them a follow-up message:

Is it possible to see this license agreement for GA ? I cannot find this on your website. Also, will you be recording somewhere my aircraft registration (i.e. HB-PJM or I-PNLJ) ? and how do you check that I'm really using that on one airplane only?

Sorry for the many questions, but I guess these are kind of questions that any GA pilot may have. Best Regards,

I suspect that they apply the business clients agreement for GA and that in GA license agreements nowhere is written that you can use the charts with 1 airplane only (otherwise, like they do for business they should ask, when buying your subscription, your plate number). It's 4 days now that I wrote them and you know what? No reply - apparently the license agreement terms for GA are such a secret thing that they cannot share...

But I will not give up :) Will keep you posted.

Teo

Teo
62 Posts
Sign in to add your message