Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

For those who fly with just an Ipad :) (shutdowns at high or low temperatures, and GPS losses)

For the first time ever my samsung android phone flashed up that it was stopping charging due overheating. It continued to work normally and some minutes later it was back charging again.

Never knew it has such a facility.

Last Edited by Bathman at 18 Jul 19:36

We got this email from CAA on 11 July, did you receive it?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Anecdotally, older iPads are better than new ones. Most things still run on iPad 2. Maybe the new ones use more power.

Not sure about this. Newer ipads processors have much more processing capacity, at a lower power level, than older ones.
Therefore the power required to run the same task or software – and therefore heat generation – should be lower?

Last Edited by etn at 19 Jul 12:41
etn
EDQN, Germany

That is very true for desktop PCs and laptops, but I think tablets have always been severely thermally constrained. So they remained pretty slow; too slow to run modern bloatware well.

The old tablets, especially Android ones, dissipated much less heat as a result. This went on for a few years due to not much development going into tablets. But now Apple are producing the barbeque-grade tablets again which clearly need fan cooling if you want them to work in warm or sunlight conditions, especially if powered via USB.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

An iPad is intolerant of direct sunlight and will over heat. They have to be either shielded from direct sun light or use forced air. Mounting vertically improves heat buildup. I fly in the Southeast US, where the outside air temperatures routinely are in the mid 80’s to 90’s during the summer. I have my Ipad Mini 5 mounted on the yoke and that avoids over heating. Before I mounted my iPad, I used it more like I would use it more like a paper map, that is I would set it on the copilot seat when I was by myself and place it under a white cloth to reflect any direct sunlight. I would only look at it occasionally. I also use a Garmin Aera 796 (previously a 696) and I had to take similar precautions with it overheating. I recently upgraded my iPhone to an iPhone 13 Pro Max and I am really happy with its viewability, even in direct sunlight. The Pro Max can stay in my shirt pocket and does not overheat.

KUZA, United States

Yesterday, prior to departure from EGJA. Temperature of the Ipad Mini was no more than +40C

It came up like this at power-up. Took about 15 mins in flight, with cool air blowing on it, to get it back. This sort of thing is a regular reminder that these devices are basically a joke.

An old android tablet doesn’t do this but you can’t run much new aviation software on it. Especially the 32 bit devices which are almost impossible to overheat.

Administrator

There’s only one explanation Peter, you are not iPad compatible, and I’m not sure which is the joker

In about 10 years, or maybe even more (…), of iPad use, I’ve only had once a complete shutdown, as in iPad + iPhone, last year out of KL06, in scorching heat. Yep, the Garmin GNX375 kept going good.
Of course, using adequate cooling, for instance by using the excellent X-Naut cradle, is paramount, as anyone knows…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Of course, using adequate cooling, for instance by using the excellent X-Naut cradle, is paramount, as anyone knows…

I flew with my new X-Naut cradle, RAM Mount installed and aircraft powered, for the first time last weekend but didn’t use the fans because my plan is to turn them on only when the weather is really hot, desert conditions or similar, and when near or on the ground. I am none the less interested to see that it prevents the shut downs I twice had on the ground last summer in 104 F (40 C) heat. Maybe in a couple of months I’ll go looking for hot conditions For now I’m still enjoying sub-70 F (21 C) days and nice climb rate.

My iPad Mini X-Naut is BTW mounted upside down to position the fan air inlet on the left side of the plane, adjacent to the pilot side canopy vent, with air exiting the mount towards the center of the plane. The designers might have thought of that, although an upside down iPad makes no functional difference and I use a 90 degree iPad power plug at the top so it doesn’t block the view through the windscreen.

@Dan, how do you use yours? Under what conditions do you turn on the fans?

Last Edited by Silvaire at 08 Apr 18:10

Peter wrote:

An old android tablet doesn’t do this but you can’t run much new aviation software on it. Especially the 32 bit devices which are almost impossible to overheat.

@Peter, Android devices (multiple tablets) run the SkyDemon just fine! I think it is only FF does this to an iPad

EGTR

FF wasn’t running. It powered up like that.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message