Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Please whitelist euroga.org with your ISP / mail system

We are getting bounces again from .fr domains. Discussed here.

This was a problem a few years ago, with free.fr etc bouncing all emails in English and now it seems to be reoccurring sporadically.

Obviously I can’t PM anyone who is getting this but basically your PMs aren’t going to be working.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It happens to be me who has the control panel for euroga.org and I have done the above. Please let me know if it looks OK.

However I recall being around this SPF stuff many times and one of the things that comes up is that e.g. some SMTP servers don’t support the /24 etc notation. Or the ip4: bit.

Let’s see if this works.

Administrator

Hmm, I just checked the SPF record, and it says:
“v=spf1 mx a ip4:82.69.126.32/32 ip4:81.187.14.238/32 include:ukservers.net”

Then I checked an e-mail that I received (“mentioned in a post”), and it was sent from some private class C IP (192.168.1.100), and then it goes through only one server before being delivered into my e-mail provider (which does NOT recognize it as SPAM btw). The outgoing server is this:

Received: from stratford-1000.dsc.net ([87.246.123.5])

But this IP address isn’t covered by the above SPF record!

In other e-mails, I can see:

Received: from edgware-1002.dsc.net ([87.246.123.4])

So you may want to add this CIDR range to your SPF record: 87.246.123.0/24
It will give you all IPs between 87.246.123.0 and 87.246.123.255

I suggest this DNS TXT record (preserving the two allowed IPs and one domain which were already present and of whom I don’t know what you need them for):

euroga.org. IN TXT “v=spf1 mx a ptr ip4:87.246.123.0/24 ip4:82.69.126.32/32 ip4:81.187.14.238/32 include:ukservers.net ~all”

The “a” means: “All the A records for domain are tested. If the client IP is found among them, this mechanism matches.”
The “mx” means: “All the A records for all the MX records for domain are tested in order of MX priority. If the client IP is found among them, this mechanism matches.”
The “~all” at the end means: “SoftFail: Not compliant will be marked but accepted”. You may want to change it to “?all”, which would mean “Neutral: Mails will probably be accepted”.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 12 Nov 22:32

Yes, all done and checked multiple times.

I see no evidence that SPF does much these days, because most spam comes from rented botnets and those are real PCs emitting emails via their ISPs so their SPF will be “good”.

Administrator

Post moved here from another thread concerning PMs delivered by email ending up in spam boxes

Have you set up an SPF record in the DNS to legitimize your server’s IP to send e-mails for this domain? (I guess it’s a question to David… too lazy to look up the TXT records myself since I’m writing on a phone).

Update here

Administrator

What I just don’t get is how dumb some of these services are.

I think I mentioned this before but a while ago I did an experiment with a friend (of 10+ years) who is on Gmail. I repeatedly found one-word emails would be dumped, but 2+ words got through. He seems to have done all the stuff which Google hint at but never disclose (Gmail doesn’t offer a “trusted sender” option) e.g. he has created an inbox folder for me.

The way antispam is supposed to work is that you (the ISP) scans incomings over your (huge) client base and if you see thousands of similar emails you dump them all. But a few dozen, sent perhaps minutes apart, won’t be spam. Spammers transmit thousands per second.

Dumping emails containing .fr URLs but English text appears clever but will result in a huge % of false positives.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Yes,the bounces due to spam were all .fr ones.

No doubt a test / warning shot by .fr domains of things to come if BREXIT happens

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)

Yes, the bounces due to spam were all .fr ones.

Administrator

Just for the information: I just received your e-mail without any problem, straight into my inbox. Not tagged as spam. Dutch ISP (Ziggo/UPC).

EHLE (Lelystad - NL), Netherlands
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message