Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Please whitelist euroga.org with your ISP / mail system

We do very few bulk mailings, but for example there is one going out now about the Portoroz fly-in in September (replacing the cancelled Venice one).

And there have been some spam related bounces…

There is no reason for this. The emails are being sent out at 30 second intervals, with proper SPF configured on the domain record, no GIF attachments, no 3rd party hosted image URLs, not a one-liner email, plain text only, not HTML so no possibility of hidden tracking pixels, etc…

There are various possible reasons for this false detection but the only real solution is for everyone to whitelist the euroga.org domain.

That will also ensure you receive private messages from other EuroGA members. These, along with any forum notifications you have configured, are only as reliable as your own email reception.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi Peter,

How do I whitelist the domain. Sorry for the stupid question.

Yes, I have had problems with receiving PM’s from other formites.

Thanks.

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

It’s not a stupid question at all.

It depends on your email provider.

If you are using some form of webmail (say gmail.com) then there ought to be a “trusted sender” option in there somewhere.

Some non-webmail systems provide a control panel (which very few people ever access or even know about) where you can enter whitelisted domains.

Another way which works with some is to send an email to the address to be whitelisted, and the ISP whitelists it. So sending it to and (to cover the commonly used addresses) would do that.

There may be other ways…

The EuroGA private messaging system is now much more robust than it used to be. It now concurrently uses two separate ways of routing a reply – one uses a header and the other uses a special string within the email body, so if some email program eats the header, the email should still get routed correctly. Also some popular ways to break it (weird characters in emails) have been addressed, and work on that is ongoing.

Administrator

Thanks, I shall have a look into that.

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

This is a similar thread to the above…

Administrator

I have just done another mailing, this time about the Paris fly-in.

Possibly every single email sent to @free.fr or @club-internet.fr has been bounced as spam!

SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
host mx1.free.fr [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: 550 spam detected

SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
host mx.club-internet.fr [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Message content rejected

so some French pilots may be having more specific issues in this department.

I have no idea what is causing this and have never before seen anything like it. The SPF stuff etc has been good AFAIK, headers are fine, the mails went out at 30 second intervals (very slow but OK for our purpose). It was sent only to people who logged in within the past year, which greatly reduces the chances of somebody getting annoyed and reporting the incoming as spam.

The email did contain some URLs which is always a fertile trigger for (false) spam recognition, especially with googlemail, but in this case some of the URLs were .fr ones and maybe the other end doesn’t like .fr URLs embedded in English text?

As stated above, this may impact your ability to receive PMs via the forum.

Administrator

Just for the information: I just received your e-mail without any problem, straight into my inbox. Not tagged as spam. Dutch ISP (Ziggo/UPC).

EHLE (Lelystad - NL), Netherlands

Yes, the bounces due to spam were all .fr ones.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Yes,the bounces due to spam were all .fr ones.

No doubt a test / warning shot by .fr domains of things to come if BREXIT happens

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)

What I just don’t get is how dumb some of these services are.

I think I mentioned this before but a while ago I did an experiment with a friend (of 10+ years) who is on Gmail. I repeatedly found one-word emails would be dumped, but 2+ words got through. He seems to have done all the stuff which Google hint at but never disclose (Gmail doesn’t offer a “trusted sender” option) e.g. he has created an inbox folder for me.

The way antispam is supposed to work is that you (the ISP) scans incomings over your (huge) client base and if you see thousands of similar emails you dump them all. But a few dozen, sent perhaps minutes apart, won’t be spam. Spammers transmit thousands per second.

Dumping emails containing .fr URLs but English text appears clever but will result in a huge % of false positives.

Administrator
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message