Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

NEED HELP: EuroGA under attack

Bad news.

EuroGA is being hit by some bot or crawler. This is causing the database and log storage to grow by about a megabyte per minute. We are now at 92% full.

It cannot apparently be stopped and nobody I know (with current admin rights) has the time.

I can log into the server and keep deleting the logs but can’t do anything about the database. That has an auto cleanup process on it but won’t work in time to save this situation.

I went for the larger server option (was160 GB; now is 320GB) which will solve this for a while – it doubles the cost from $48/month to $96/month – but that just postpones the problem.

I can delete the logfiles if they get too big (there is an auto trim but probably too slow; we will find out) but don’t know how to set up a periodic database cleanup process which removes the bogus sessions.

Anyway, in the short term, I will experiment with a captcha which is one of the anti attack options on Cloudflare which EuroGA is behind.

So I will be looking for somebody familiar with Centos, MariaDB (I think it is) and – the hardest by far – Ruby on Rails.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I can’t help on IT at all but happy to contribute to a “defence” fund if required.

EGBM, United Kingdom

Ditto – and done

Last Edited by Peter_Mundy at 19 Apr 10:17
EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

There is now some sort of a captcha, implemented in JS. I personally can’t see it, and it might be hidden.

Administrator

It showed up on my first connection since your update “establishing secure connection”.

ESMK, Sweden

The traffic has not stopped but there is plenty of room on the server … for now

Administrator

No captcha for me. Just a message saying it’s checking if the site is secure before continuing.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

OK.

That feature, once turned on, cannot be turned off without doing some complicated script.

Administrator

Got the captcha, not a problem for me if it stays.

LFOU, France

No captcha for me. Just a message saying it’s checking if the site is secure before continuing.

Same for me

Private field, Mallorca, Spain
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message