Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ofcom - 3 week maintenance window (and payment errors)

If any G-reg owners have recently paid their radio station licence, you may be getting a nastygram in the post from Ofcom threatening to cancel your licence for non-payment. When you go to the Ofcom website you get this:

I wish we could have an almost 3-week maintenance window whenever we do a system upgrade! (I’d love to see the look on our chief exec’s face if I asked for one… we have to try and get our upgrades done either in the middle of the night or on a Sunday…)

There has been a bit of a cockup – I paid mine back in September, but just received their nastygram in the post: I phoned their 0300 number and they confirmed they had the payment and I wasn’t the only one affected by this, and I should ignore the letter.

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

I wish we could have an almost 3-week maintenance window whenever we do a system upgrade! (I’d love to see the look on our chief exec’s face if I asked for one… we have to try and get our upgrades done either in the middle of the night or on a Sunday…)

Amazing! I thought Workday was bad with their full weekend updates. This is stunning – never heard of anything like that, at least not in the last 30 years.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Our recent renewal took them over two months to process, with us just sneaking in before this planned maintenance. Bit of a joke.

United Kingdom

I called them on Tuesday (the day after maintenance) because I hadn’t received my radio licence from a few months ago, and was impressed: they answered immediately after the recorded message and emailed a new copy while I was on the phone.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

For what exactly do we pay the licence fee? They do not keep our frequencies clear of commercial radio stations. They do not ensure our GPS signals are not jammed.
What do we get for our money or am I being naive and have to accept it is just another quango that the government need to pay for somehow?

UK, United Kingdom

You get nothing. The govt just sold off some fresh air.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message